Asus C200 Chromebook screen/display problem

nicolass2020

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
My screen/display on my Chromebook only shows a blank white screen when I open it ever since it fell off a chair from about 2 feet. The brightness still works. When I press the brightness button it will increase and decrease. I can power off my Chromebook or shut it down, but my problem is it only shows a white screen. Any suggestions on ho to fix my problem? Thanks

Well it could be a few things. Try the following to see if you can find the actual cause.

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Connect an external monitor.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.
5. Can you see everything OK on the external monitor?
5a. If no, then your graphics card is the issue.
5b. If yes, then we would need to dig further.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, before proceeding with any further, you should contact the manufacturer about a repair/replacement.

6. If it is the graphics card, that will need to be replaced, which may mean the whole motherboard needs replacing.
7. If you can see on the external monitor, then you need to open up the laptop and check the connections. Is the ribbon cable loose, bent, pinched, damaged, disconnected, etc?
7a. If it is damaged in any way it will need replacing.
7b. If it isn't damaged, then you should unplug it from both ends and then reconnect them.
8. Once you have replaced the ribbon cable or disconnected and reconnected it, try turning on the laptop as you normally would.
9. If this does not resolve the issue, you probably need to replace the actual display.

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Esc, Refresh, Power button.
Control D
Space Bar

Chromebook should restart and reset to factory settings.

At reset the screen should work again. If it doesn't then you can check it with an external monitor. If the external monitor works, then order a new screen from Amazon (usually about $40) and Youtube how to change it. We fix them all the time. Takes about 20 minutes.

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014

Warranty won't cover damage from the fall (if he's ethical), so he could open it up regardless at that point. But yes, contacting about warranty is a good idea before cracking it open.