Asus Can Keep Selling Tablets Using "Transformer" Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I thought the use of the name was fine, but using the logos may be a bit too far, since they're using someone else's product to make ppl think that it's the robotic transformers addition or something.

G

As a fall back position, Asus would reveal that their laptop was really named after those trashcan shaped things on utility poles.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Err... so Asus can keep selling these laptops that clearly cash in on the Transformers idea (Transformer Prime, Optimus Prime etc), but Samsung has to stop selling tablets and phones for having icons with curved corners because that's too similar.

bignick18

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Name isnt a big deal but using images and likeness i dont see how Asus shouldnt be in trouble. Also Transformer PRime is takeing the naming to far IMO.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
While I believe ASUS really did take the name from Hasbro because of the movie hype, it is technically not the same toy as Hasbro is selling and so they have no right to it.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
ASUS has the right to use the transformer names...but advertisment hinting space and cybertron is clearly cashing in on Transformers. And samsung should not be penalized for curved edges...if Apple patented curve edges...we'll not be seeing anymore hot babes with curve edges!!!

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I suspect this article is idiot speak for the most part. It is very unlikely that a lawsuit between Hasbro and Asus has been resolved. Most likely Hasbro filed a temporary injunction asking that Asus be bared from using the term Transformer. The judge likely ruled that the temporary injunction was not warranted.

This does NOT mean that Hasbro has lost its case. It simply means that the judge believed that Hasbro would not be permanently harmed by the use of the name on Asus' part, and that if Hasbro were to win its lawsuit, then Hasbro could be adequately compensated for use of its brand name with MONEY. In other words the injunction is denied simply because there are other alternative remedies, such as Asus paying Hasbro money after the lawsuit. And of course if a jury rules in Hasbro's favor, then the judge can re-visit the issue of the permanent injunction (as opposed to a temporary pre-trial injunction).

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
The name/word "transformer" by itself should not be trademarkable (and hopefully is not) as it is a normal term for a well defined device.

Sorry Hasbro, cool toys when I was a kid but you lose this fight

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Of course... having one of these devices with a Transformers skin and, in the case of the Prime, having that particular flame pattern and Autobots logo on the front would be even cooler.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
ASUS can keep selling the Prime, but nobody's buying.

They didn't mention it here, but it came out that ASUS has only sold around 80,000 Primes. Quite pathetic for the best Android tablet to date.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I Think Hasbro missed a great opportunity here if i was Hasbro i would have went to Asus and asked them for some action as in let Hasbro help off load a bit of the cost of the tablets we kick in a copy of the latest Transformers Movie with Special content for your tablet also make button covers for Autobots or Decepticons lets work together here and both make money nut instead they went to Court and Hasbro lost and no Asus gets to use the name still oh well such is the Corporate life

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hasbro should of won this, or get some $$$.

Asus could of called their product Transformer One, it didn't have to go as fas as calling it Prime.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I don't see why this is a big deal. Transformer is a normal word just like jukebox or window. And they're always calling their stuff names instead of just numbers. 10 years ago they had the asus terminator - had nothing to do with the 90s movies, but was named terminator anyway. Nobody seemed to care then.

G

can i open a fruit shop selling all sorts of apples from all around the world and name my shop apple???

jcaulley_74

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jasperchc[/nom]can i open a fruit shop selling all sorts of apples from all around the world and name my shop apple???[/citation]
You'll need to call it 'Apples', then you'll be fine, because obviously one 's' makes all the difference. But don't try to use the word 'scrolls' that one is obviously different.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Just "Transformer" is fine but they crossed the line with "Transformer Prime" which does make the product sound endorsed by the Hasbro franchise of the same name.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"and causes consumer confusion even though the tablet doesn't convert into a truck or a bright yellow Mustang."
You made me spill my coffee through my nose... xD

Status
Not open for further replies.