Asus EeePad: the First Successful Android Tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Good to hear. Always a bad idea when one company monopolizes an entire section of products. Hopefully this gives the ipad some competition.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Asus EeePad:

$400, same stats as others, looks good, not a fingerprint magnet. Designed to work with a keyboard that doubles as a screen cover.

These numbers are pretty good, considering that Apple is selling about 3million iPads a month.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I must like spambots, or I would read news somewhere else:D

Tablets are not useful devices. They are ergonomically atrocious. I will take a notebook form factor any day!

G

I've used a Transformer. Nice wide screen...and no hulu or Netflix options...technically, I can 'do more' with my phone!

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Darn it deleted my post apparently. I've had one of these tablets since last monday and I've enjoyed playing with it. Are there any suggestions for facetime style apps, and other apps that aren't games? Thanks for the heads up!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]I must like spambots, or I would read news somewhere elseTablets are not useful devices. They are ergonomically atrocious. I will take a notebook form factor any day![/citation]

They are VERY useful... it depends on WHAT they are used for. A notebook is nowhere near as functional as a desktop. But why do you want a notebook for?

Try talking to 120+ people a day over a 10 hour period... a 1.5lb tablet that rotates easily with an 8+ hour battery life or a 3~5lb notebook with a 2~3hr battery life?

Lets see ANY notebook or netbook have a 1-second boot-up time... eh?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I think the galaxy tab 10.1 is a fantastic device. I imagine it is the $100 price difference that is making this tablet sell faster.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I have a ipad2 and a transformer. Other than the apple apps, the transformer has a leg up on pretty much everything. The ipad2 pretty much is just used by the wife now.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
No tablet can come near the iPad's success... Why? Because they arrived WAY too late to the party. People now got used to the iOS schema of getting things done (I'm willing to bet that most iPad owners have an iPhone around, very close to them).

Now, the Asus transformer gave very useful features to the "tablet" concept with a cheap twist (cheap is not a trivial word IMO) and not leaving quality behind. I used it for a while (a friend has it), but I'm not a target for them at all, so all I can say is that tablets are a niche product that fit very specific needs. If they try to broaden those needs, disaster will occur: price will go up, performance will go down; or even worse, they'll step into PC territory (notebooks). Side by side, though, the Asus looks better than the iPad in functionality, but the iPad is way way easier to use. It's like Android was meant for engineers and iOS for... Well... You know... Masses.

When Apple steps into the PC territory, they won't care though, because it's their own ecosystem (phone -> tablet -> notebook -> desktop). But Android... Android is Linux kernel + Java, so it's closest relative is Linux and we all know about Linux for the masses: is non-existent. Google is taking big steps to make that change, but there's the other big brother called Microsoft that won't budge on that market, lol.

Cheers!

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Absolutely love my transformer. My first android device, and I've never owned an iP* (ok so I really have been a dedicated PC person...).

It has done everything I asked of it - mostly being to remove any personal stuff I still had on my work PC, but the browsing, emailing, networking, gaming and media functionality have gone above the call of duty. I use it about 90% of the time with keyboard dock, making up the entire time I'm at work, but when I get home I put the dock on charge and detach the tablet to sit on the couch for some relaxation and chatting time.

It really is the perfect accessory for any desktop owner. And that is the only caveat I will apply; don't rely solely on the TF for all needs, but partnered with a PC it is simply wonderful.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I had my first experience with an iPad the other day. I was at a clients house and needed internet connection, which I didn't have at the time, so I couldn't get online with my laptop. The owner didn't know her router password, so she put an iPad in front of me.

It was a mess for my purposes. You can't honestly enjoy typing on a touch screen. It's no where near as useful as a keyboard. Without a mouse, some productive stuff is just not possible. I can't see this in my house.

We live with touch screens on phones because we need them carried on us, but iPad's aren't something you can just travel with you everywhere you go. It's luggage, much like a laptop, so we shouldn't need to sacrifice functionality.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
$500 for a toy that will be obsolete in 2 months? No way!

Here is the correct pricing for a tablet: 1Gb RAM, 16Gb SSD, Kal-El - $200 Paying more than $200 for a tablet no matter what's inside it is insane and simply stupid!
And I wish tablets come with ebook reader-like displays, something to what PixelQi offers.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Mean reason why I won't pay more than $200 for such a device is because I'm going to take it everywhere (instead of Kindle and a notebook) and if I loose it or break it I should be able to buy a new one without getting a heart attack first.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
If I buy something that costs $700 I'll be afraid to use it and I'll keep it under protective glass at home and it will be basically a useless piece of garbage. So why do I need a gadget like that then?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]n8dogg[/nom]I have a ipad2 and a transformer. Other than the apple apps, the transformer has a leg up on pretty much everything. The ipad2 pretty much is just used by the wife now.[/citation]

Could you explain why? I've tried in a store iPad 2 and a Transformer and an Iconia. I think that iPad/iPhone are much better designed and useful than anything Android I've seen so far.
BTW I'm not an Apple fan. I do not own anything Apple and I don't imagine myself paying the premium Apple prices but I still find Android not to be there yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.