Asus EeePad Transformer to Cost $399

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Price + features + battery life seem to make this the best competition to the iPad. I can't even think of a downside to it. Also, I don't see why anyone would pay $100 for 16 extra gb of flash. You could buy a few sd cards for half that. I mean, if you have the extra money, go for it, but I don't think it's really worth the extra $100. But they give you a choice so I'm not complaining :)

chronium

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]wow this seems to be packed with features, how so cheap?[/citation]

They choose to only make 100 dollars in profit instead of 200 to 300 dollars in profit like everyone else does.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Even though this will be $499 in AUSD I'll gladly grab one, I REALLY want a tablet running Android, one that actually works, is cheap and very powerful!

Unlike the ehem.. Xoom.. which is hundreds more for the addition of 4G

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]spsfinest[/nom]The price sucks you can't even use Photoshop CS5 on this thing[/citation]

Anybody that says that doesn't deserve to be looking into cheap ANDROID tablets in the first place, you're out of place saying that here.

This isn't running ANY operating system that's capable of using Photoshop or any standard desktop programs.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Anybody that says that doesn't deserve to be looking into cheap ANDROID tablets in the first place, you're out of place saying that here.This isn't running ANY operating system that's capable of using Photoshop or any standard desktop programs.[/citation]

The point does still stand though, that this still can't fully replace a netbook for productivity with Android as an OS. And when Asus does release it's Win7 tablet, it likely won't be as comfortable to use as a tablet. A dual boot solution would be the ideal answer for these devices, using Android for "tablet mode" and Win7 for "netbook mode". The dock does bring the battery life to upto 16 hours though, and can add several useful ports. I wouldn't recommend this without the dock, Acer's tablet looks like it has a bit more to offer as a tablet only device. Both companies need to be using a higher build quality than they've had with their netbooks if they want to really compete with Apple.

G

A netbook with an atom cpu running photoshop and desktop programs? you gotta be kidding me. A netbook is for you to do light stuff like surf the net..hence the name. Anyways, most people who buy tablets now are just buying it as a toy, not for productivity...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]The point does still stand though, that this still can't fully replace a netbook for productivity with Android as an OS. And when Asus does release it's Win7 tablet, it likely won't be as comfortable to use as a tablet. A dual boot solution would be the ideal answer for these devices, using Android for "tablet mode" and Win7 for "netbook mode". The dock does bring the battery life to upto 16 hours though, and can add several useful ports. I wouldn't recommend this without the dock, Acer's tablet looks like it has a bit more to offer as a tablet only device. Both companies need to be using a higher build quality than they've had with their netbooks if they want to really compete with Apple.[/citation]
wasn't the EP121 already launched? It has a i5 not an atom though?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
€300 without and €350 with keyboard - that's how much I can pay for this generation tablet, that compared to iPad 2 is already a last generation. Anything above that is a waste of money.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]spsfinest[/nom]The price sucks you can't even use Photoshop CS5 on this thing[/citation]

If you want to use CS5 you should better look for a desktop with core i7 cpu. I cannot imagine how are you going to use it with photoshop anyway.

Yeah, the price is still too high but at least not laughable as the prices of Xoom or Galaxy Tab.

G

Actually I have an asus netbook (12" screen, ion2 & dualcore atom with 4GB of ram) quite happily running PS CS5, editing 24MP RAW files, so it is possible.
Zingham - as far as I can tell this tablet already bests the IPAD 2 in pretty much everything - better screen, more ram, better cameras, microSD card & HDMI out, making the cupertino product look last gen.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
ok this spam adverts MUST stop, Tom's...seriously!

on the notebook/tablet article above: it's actually made me (a very pro dekstop guy) think about getting into tablets after all. Especially if i start travelling more with a new job (hold thumbs for me that I get it!!).

I love android! and I simply can't see how this can go wrong...and before I do end up having to get an iShit of some kind, I'd rather grab this!

itguy_nyc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Is there a REAL release date for the US? Are we going to be able to buy it with the keyboard included like in the UK? If the keyboard was included for $499 I would buy this immediately. I just cannot justify $150 for a keyboard with batteries inside of it.

Other than that, I am happy I can finally buy a decent tablet that does not have a fruit on it.
Anyone else sick of the crapple fan boys quoting how much market share the ipad has even though they were the only player in the market for like a whole year?

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]itguy_nyc[/nom]Is there a REAL release date for the US?[/citation]

Since Best Buy normally releases new items on Tuesdays and it's said to be the end of the month, expect 4/26 (the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl) as the release date in the US.

[citation][nom]itguy_nyc[/nom]Are we going to be able to buy it with the keyboard included like in the UK?[/citation]

It sounds like it will be included and only cost $399.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'm just not sure how much I'd use the keyboard dock. Really, how much content creation are they expecting people to do on an Android based, consumer focused device?

The"mass" appeal of tablets is for content consumption.

itguy_nyc

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I thought the $399 was without the keyboard. I guess I will have to wait for more details. I fell like it is 2 weeks away from Christmas and I am waiting for a new toy :)

I would use the keyboard only to quickly edit word docs, PPTs and spreadsheets while I am on the run. The fact is comes with software that is compatible with MS office documents is a major plus for me.

I don't think it will replace my laptop or home PC full stop, but it is still a feature that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.