Asus forcing Windows 8!

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014
I have been following this forum and guides for laptops here and on many sites and I really need to rant about Asus. I just have to get it out of my system. Asus is, excuse me, was my prefered choice when searching for laptops. They have the best quality cases, displays, lowest noise and coolest temps. What more do you need in a laptop, right?

Well until recently I discovered they dropped driver support for any other OS other than win8.. Thank you Asus, just because of this I am forced to look for other companies like Lenovo or Acer and swallow the fact that I will have second best display and much more hotter case. But you know what I rather have ***** temperatures and quality than use your forced Windows 8!

Question. Is there any way around this? Can you recommend any ultrabook similar to (This) Asus N550JK with 15" quality matte display, good gaming/media performance and top quality?

Solution

The Advantages of Windows 8 are

DX12, far better Task Manager, lower RAM usage, Marginally more secure, will...

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Before reading any more questions like this :) I forgot to wrote that I have win7 at home and I am in no way interested in spending a ****** of money and buying a new OS. Especially not an OS that is dumbed down and inferior to its predecessor.

I know I can use classic shell, but in reality I can just run win7 and I don't have to tolerate that big icons suited for tablets, not to mention directory exploring. I will mostly use the laptop for programming work and having a bad copy of Mac OS doesn't help

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

The Advantages of Windows 8 are

DX12, far better Task Manager, lower RAM usage, Marginally more secure, will be supported for longer

The Disadvantages of Windows 8 are

Touch interface (can be removed)

And in a prebuilt laptop, you are virtually getting the new OS for free, so...

And really, why aren't you using linux? (if you're "mostly programming")

Solution

wildfire707

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
You can always find out what chips (motherboard chipset, networking, bluetooth) are being used in the Asus laptop and download the drivers individually from the vendors that make them.

I am not that fond of Windows 8 (now 8.1), but with Classic Shell and ChrisPC Win Experience Index installed, it is basically the same as Windows 7. Classic Shell adds the start menu back in and the ChrisPC Win Experience Index adds a WEI program.

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

You get a free OS but what if I decide to install a fresh copy of OS? Not using Linux because no laptop supports it and I enjoy video games on occassion. By better task manager do you also mean better explorer and overview of workspace? Because I hear even simple functionality like desktop are hidden at first

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

I know, its just things like mousepad and camera etc.. you usually can't find drivers for it anywhere but official site. And I have bad feeling about running extra shell on top of existing shell if I can simply use win7, well not with Asus apparently

USAFRet

Illustrious

See....that's the problem right there. Have you ever actually used Win 8/8.1?
With 8.1, you can default it to boot directly into desktop mode. Never see the tiles unless you really want to.

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

The fact that desktop is not visible by DEFAULT makes me question OS usability and performance even further

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well...it's like 2 clicks to permanently change that.

G

Windows 8 and 8.1 are actually better than windows 7 when it comes to resources and perfomance, I don't really know where is people getting those fake news that it will run slower or anything. About the windows menu, it is actually good for touch devices and can be removed for non-touch devices. Search for start8, classicshell, iobit startmenu, google "classicshell alternative" and you'll find much more free and paid solutions. I've had windows 8 since its release and I haven't seen the metro menu in a while unless I wanted to.

I might tell you a secret: The troubleshooting system actually works in windows 8 as opposed to older windows versions :p

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

I am not saying win8 is slower I am saying it hinders and disables my workflow. How can you even navigate in that cluster. As for extra shell on top of my windows shell, nah. If Microsoft couldn't make a decent UI I am not even using their new OS and going through all of that trouble to customize my expirience

G

The new UI is not the problem, it is actually as well made as it gets. I believe I know what's the actual problem: You don't want to pay for windows 8 when you already have windows 7 and that's not Microsoft's fault but rather Asus's for not providing sufficient drivers support. You may better give them a call or send them an e-mail as there's no way we can further help you. The most we can do is suggest you give them a call or suggest you switch from windows to OSX or Linux, buy/build a new System, or buy windows 8

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Any advice what Linux laptops are available out there? Or maybe any similar quality laptops than Asus?

future_man

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

Linux doesn't have to download them from the official laptop manufacturer? Wow didn't know that

G

Linux and Windows unlike Mac, They work /almost/ with anything and drivers in these systems are more of an improvement than to make things works. Almost any linux distribution should work with that pc, and grubs/grubs2 will probably be who will make dual booting possible