Solved! Asus FX503V Wont start up

Sep 23, 2019
My Asus laptop is not starting up.

Description of the problem;

I press the power button, and keyboard lights up however the screen doesnt.
Fan noise and white light comes on next to bulb icon on the laptop.
No other lights, including any hard drive lights.
No key buttons seem to work (tried pressing caps lock to see if indicator light comes on)

Ive tried removing the battery - main one and small back up battery and waiting 5 mins.
Ive also tried holding power button down and repowering up.
Have confirmed not a display issue (not that i thought it was) by plugging into ext monitor.

Anyone have any ideas?

many thanks

Dave

Solution
It sounds like it actually is starting, just the display isn't. Sounds and lights mean it is powered.

In that case, try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the...
It sounds like it actually is starting, just the display isn't. Sounds and lights mean it is powered.

In that case, try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution
Sep 23, 2019
Thanks. Have tried an external monitor and just tried the approach you suggest to reset the graphics card. Although it powers, there is no activity from the hard drive indicator lights which id expect to flash during start up.

Also, as I mention, if I press caps lock i get no “caps lock on” light either.

So does this suggest it’s not actually booting/starting or that its trying but the motherboard or similar is blown, do you think?

time for a repairman ?