Solved! Asus G53 vs Alienware Mx15

blastme33

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm kinda stuck deciding between two laptops, asus G53 or the Alienware MX15. Both offer really great specifications however im not sure which is more stable and has better functionality. I'm planning to use it mainly for adobe cs5 and other video related stuff. I also play some games but not the high end type, probably nba 2k10.

I'm actually not sure whether buying a high end laptop is better than me just buying a high end desktop pc.

Thanks everyone!

Solution

Hello and welcome to the forums
I would go with ASUS G53 because i think you can find it cheaper than M15x,also it has a GTX 460M which is on par(if not better)than 5850M.

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Well, do you travel a lot ? Or are you on campus ?
If so , then get a laptop. But not one of those 2. They are overkill for what you'll be doing. Do you have a budget ? Some preferences ( nvidia/ati, mac/windows, asus/dell/apple/hp)?

If the answer to your first two questions is no, then get a desktop. You'll end up paying less and receiving more. And you'll be able to upgrade as you go.

blastme33

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I would say I travel a lot because I use the same laptop at home and in the office. I don't really have a budget but I would prefer PC over Mac due to flexibility. No preferences in brand as well. I do some graphics work using the adobe collection software and a little bit of gaming at home such as starcraft II.

ghost_florian

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
If you prefer a stylish yet very very very good laptop, go for the HP Envy 15.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=ENVY&series_name=ENVY15_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/ENVY/ENVY15_series

It's cheaper than the alienware, better spec'ed and better looking for a profesional. The only negative is the battery, which will last you 2 hours. But if you're always near a plug, it's fine. Starcraft 2 isn't casual gaming, even if you play it occasionally.It will stress your hardware quite a bit. And for 1100 $, you get quite a lot.
The alienware and the asus are specially designed for gamers. They're not bad choices at all, but I don't know what sort of work you're doing :) If you do serious cs5, you might want to consider a 17 inch model, or else you'll miss on those fine details.
The Envy just seems like a more portable option and a more stylish one.
The MacBook pro, the daddy of portability, has the option of running Windows on it, so you can forget it's a mac.

Hello and welcome to the forums
I would go with ASUS G53 because i think you can find it cheaper than M15x,also it has a GTX 460M which is on par(if not better)than 5850M.

Solution
G

The 460 beats the 5850 by a lot and is actually on par with the 5870. I realize you do not have a budget but go on the alienware website and hook it up with the specs of the G53, it's almost 1000 more, so even if you have the money for the alienware, still wasteful. I would go with the G53, upgrade to 8gb ram, intel 6200, and buy a 40gb ssd to use as a boot drive while u use the other hdd for storage and you have a monster for around 1600