Asus G55VW VS MSI GT60 VS Sager NP9150

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey guys im currently in a dilemma of which to go with.

My needs as a Uni student are basic portability i dont do much gaming on the laptop but i want to make sure it can handle it anyways.

Ill be doing alot of CCNA reading and C++ coding etc matlab engineering work so i need a 1080P display. Dont want to spend more than 1700 im happy around the 1600 mark I live in australia so i have to pay alot for postage unfortunately im going for the 15.6 inch models as i think the 17.3 inches get a bit too big sitting in a lecture hall etc. but still might consider it.

im from australia so these are shipped from america all these notebooks locally are about +250-350$ more.

MSI GT60 ebay and other shops best price 1500~ 12gb ram 2x 500gb 7200rpm hdds - the upside of the msi is that it comes with the killer network adapter whereas the others have the intel one. and the rest is all about design etc

Asus G55VW Ebay again ~1500 roughly 8-12gb ram 500-750gb hdd 5400rpm

Sager Locally costs me about 1600 with 750gb of hdd 7200rpm and 16gb ram

They all consist of the same i7 processor Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge processor 2.3GHz - 4 cores with Intel® Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz, 45W, 6MB Smart Cache

I cant decide which one is for me other than styling etc its very hard to decide. any help guys? cheers

Pyree

Distinguished
Remind you that if you are shipping laptop from overseas to Australia, there will be 10% GST on total cost, that is (the price of the machine + shipping cost in AUD)x0.1+ (price of the machine + shipping cost in AUD) . Factoring in shipping and GST, an imported machine of $1500 can easily cost $1800. I found that it is always cheaper to buy comparable laptop from local Clevo seller than importing from overseas.

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/d380_metabox-clevo-p151em1-laptop-notebook.html
http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/519-horize-p151em1b-clevo-notebook.html

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey guys I've decided to go locally but still cant decide between the asus msi and clevo/metabox or whatever sager equivalent. Which would you guys go for if all had mainly the same specs?

Pyree

Distinguished
ASUS is in Melbourne, Metabox (IT Channel Pty Ltd) is in Perth. I am not sure where MSI is if you need to send it back for repair. I'll go for Clevo/Matabox because it is cheaper. Also, the representative for affordable laptop, metabox and logical blue one are on local computer forum (whirlpool). You may want to get in touch with them there.

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

There is an asus repairs branch in sydney. Also I'm not fussed about posting to and from for warranties, im more interested in the Performance and the Aesthetics and functionality of the laptop. I dont mind sending items to and from for warranty. I just want advice on what would perform best.