Asus G56JK or G771JM?

SomeKindaJoke

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
I am looking to replace my current laptop, and would like something that is good for gaming (with modern games), watching videos and browsing. I have decided on the Asus brand as I have seen a lot of really good reviews and I am currently stuck between the G56JK-DH71 and the G771JM-DH71 (links below). I like the G56JK because it is smaller and lighter, but the graphics on the G771JM look to be better. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two models and can maybe recommend one of them? I have been having trouble finding good reviews for both. I want one that will last a few years before I have to replace it.

G56JK:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9630517&CatId=4935

G771JM:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9545223

The main reasons why I went with these two over some of the other models are the price, and availability. I like to be able to order from somewhere, where if I have to return the laptop for repairs I can take it to the store myself and talk with someone in person. As well, I don't do a lot of gaming, few hours at a time max and only keep a few games downloaded at a time, so I figured the G750JM was more than I needed, and I don't like the N550JK models as you can't easily take the batteries out and just have it plugged in (which I like to do when gaming for longer periods or watching movies).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Solution
hello there i myself was looking at asus gaming laptop specifically a g750 or g751 but after browsing the republic of gamers forums and hearing a slew of problems and not much response from asus themselves so i cant really say they are good or bad im just going off of what people are having posting about there computers now before i suggest my personal opinion on a laptop i would recommend lets talk about these 2 you have chosen the biggest difference between these 2 laptops you will notice is the screen size and weight the g771jm has a 17 inch screen and weighs more so if you plan on traveling or taking to friends houses or school it might become bothersome after awhile and also as a general rule of thumb most 17 inch laptops are...

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there i myself was looking at asus gaming laptop specifically a g750 or g751 but after browsing the republic of gamers forums and hearing a slew of problems and not much response from asus themselves so i cant really say they are good or bad im just going off of what people are having posting about there computers now before i suggest my personal opinion on a laptop i would recommend lets talk about these 2 you have chosen the biggest difference between these 2 laptops you will notice is the screen size and weight the g771jm has a 17 inch screen and weighs more so if you plan on traveling or taking to friends houses or school it might become bothersome after awhile and also as a general rule of thumb most 17 inch laptops are considered a desktop replacement now the g56jk is a 15 inch and it wont weigh as much and would be more portable and wont be bothersome after a while due to weight as far as the video cards go they are honestly about the same so it really comes down to what i just explained screen size hope this helps now may i suggest another laptop just because? I myself decided to go with MSI i myself for the same price range you are in bought this laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152711

it is a 2015 model that just came out it has the new 9 series graphics cards it can support 3 m.2 ssd drives and it has a steel series backlit keyboard it is only a 15.3 inch laptop but i hoping for the best i dont have it yet waiting for it to get here it was supposed to be here today but ups said it was having problems due to weather so i dont know when ill get it kinda dissapointed but when i do i will defintely be making a video for my youtube page about it. hope this helps good luck on your choice

Solution

SomeKindaJoke

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
Thanks psycrow. I have decided I definitely want to stick with a 15.6". I currently don't have a desk, or room for one in my apartment, so my computer does move around my place a bit depending on what I'm doing (kitchen table, lap, coffee table) and the smaller one will be more portable.

After your suggestion on the MSI GE62 Apache, I did look into it quite a bit as well as the GT60 Dominator. I have decided to go with the MSI GE62, I think it will be perfect for what I need it for, and the Dominator is quite heavy for a 15.6" (7.7lbs I believe). Now the only problem is getting it in Canada. So far every where seems to either not carry that model, or they are out of stock. The only place that I found that might have it is Newegg. I had never even heard of this company until I started looking for a new computer, so I have no experience ordering from them.

Is Newegg a good company to order from? How are their warranties, and what's their customer service like? My main concern is if I need to return it for repairs. I generally like to be able to go into a store and talk with someone first, however it doesn't seem like that's going to be possible with so few places selling this model.

psycrow395

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
hello there im glad you have found something that will work for you and yeah as i said its a 2015 model just came out so it may take some time before stores actually get it i havent seen it any of my stores around here either so i just ordered it off newegg myself and unfortunatley it has not arrived yet it was supposed to be here yesterday but ups told me it was delayed due to weather and i havent gotten an update yet :( so hopefully i didnt just lose 1300$ now i have only ever in my life had to RMA or return something to newegg and it was hassel free now my guess is you have 60days to retrun something to newegg if its broke but after that for your warranty you would have to talk to MSI about that, also the great thing about ordering online for me atleast here in the US is i dont have to pay tax on a 1300$ laptop hope this helps god luck on your purchase

SomeKindaJoke

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
Well, after some more research I am now stuck between the Asus G551JM and the MSI GE62 Apache.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232186&cm_re=asus_rog-_-34-232-186-_-Product
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152718CVF&cm_re=msi-_-34-152-718CVF-_-Product

The $300 price difference is what is stopping me at the moment. It seems like the main difference between the two is the graphics card, 860m in the Asus vs. 965m in the MSI. I'm not a heavy gamer, so I know the 860 will be fine for me now, but I do want something that will still be able to run games decently 5 years down the road. I have seen about the same amount of positive and negative reviews for both of these models, and right now they are both kinda hard to find in Canada online, so I know I have some time to think about it.

What do you guys think, is the MSI worth the extra $300? Or will I be ok a few years from now with the 860m?