Asus G750 JM (4700 & 860m) or MSI GT60 (4800 & 870m) Both are $1400

Asus G750 JM (4700 & 860m) or MSI GT60 (4800 & 870m)

• Asus G750 JM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MSI GT 70

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Title says it all. I currently have the asus g750, and I love it. Have had to replace once due to thermals being way to high. The new one I have has less than ideal build quality, plastic border around screen loose, and space bar pretty loose as well. So eitherway ill be trading this one back to best buy and ordering a new one. So should I order another asus or get the msi this round?

The MSI price is identicle to my asus. But huge difference is the gpu. The 870m is a big step up from what ive read. I don't game much, but I render all the time. All of which is accelerated by the gpu, and testing done that ive read is the 870m is about 30% better than the 860m.

But upon reading through forums and reviews, I stumbled on the msi gt60-70. For $1400. Same price as mine. But the msi includes a i7 4800 and a gtx 870m. I know its a single fan, and cooling isn't as good as the asus. And fan noise is also louder due to the single fan. But fan noise from reviews shows only a 5 db difference. And as far as temps, stress tests show gpu/cpu both at 90c. Which makes sense since theyre both right by one another, and the fact its a 870m and a 4800. But my temps under stress are also 85-95c cpu, only gamed on gpu never stressed but sits around 65c. That's not much difference in temps, fan noise is also not to bad.

The msi also allows upgradability (wont be doing this), but do really like the fact I can take off the fans and heatsinks and copper piping, plus reapply thermal paste if needed. Where as the asus im sure you can, but its not an easy task.

I really like the asus better, and do think its better than the msi. But from what I see the 870m is really quite a bit better. And the msi doesn't seem like a bad machine at all, I mean its actually reviewed and preferred on many reviews over the asus. My liking is asus first, but for the same price, that 870m.............

Ive talked to a lot of g750 owners and they all love it as well. Havent really talked to any msi gt owners though. and Personal reviews ive read are really hit or miss.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Also just went to xotic pc, and i can downgrade from 4800 to a 4700 and save another $100 that way. Which is great. And the msi comes with a 2 year warranty here in the us, vs asus 1 year.

G

Im buying a new laptop soon and was set on the gt70 till I saw this thread...I really want to go with an Asus because of the better cooling and because Ive never had issues with my other Asus products. I didnt even know they had new ones coming out that would compete with the MSI's.

Isnt the Asus a 17" screen? The GT60 is 15"...if youre looking for a 17" then youd need the GT70. Tough call...I would want the 870m as well.

If its between the 750JM and the GT70 I would go GT70...if you could up your budget a bit Id look for a 750JS. Thats my exact predicament now...

G

Also, just so you know, if you have a warranty claim with MSI you have to pay to ship it to them...Asus will pay for theirs.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Didn't know that, so thank you. I'll put that in the con list, but msi does offer a 2 year warranty vs the 1 year asus. So that probably cancels eachother out.

G

True...Im probably still going with the MSI because of that fact...plus their repair depot is about a 25 minute drive from my house. :) To get the same specs in the Asus it would still run me a couple hundred more too, so there's that...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Yea, that drive must be really nice. Definitly swing me that way. Thing about the asus vs msi. I have the asus, and i love everything about it. Keyboard is great, actual laptop quality is top notch, doesn't feel like its going to break. I can get 4-5 hours of just normal laptop stuff. I can game great, it stays mostly quiet, and mostly cool. When i bring it to work/school/family/park/outdoors it is just a really good quality laptop. I'm not sure on the msi. From reviews ive read it looks good, but not sure if overall laptop is just great, or if id have to sacrifice. If the laptop itself is overall just as nice as the asus plus offering way better components for $400 cheaper, then it'd be the laptop to own. But without buying it and shipping it, i cant get a hands on for it.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
also, does anyone have any thoughts/opinions/experience with the fact that the msi comes with a 180v power adapter? From what i gather, under full load it takes battery and wall power?

G

From what Ive read the 180w adapter works fine. The MSI has a hybrid power mode. Like most gaming laptops it will throttle the GPU when its not plugged in and when it IS plugged in you get full power. When you are playing really taxing games it uses the hybrid power mode, both wall adapter and battery, to give you a performance boost. I believe its only active when you're playing something exceptionally graphics intensive and it doesn't drain the battery much (maybe 5-10% per hour). I think it was more of an issue on older models that needed more power...

Sounds like the Asus works well for what you need and you're quite happy with it...why not just stick with the Asus?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Well build quality on my current asus is subpar. So I will be returning this exact one reguarless of whether or not I get msi or stay asus. The first one I had was perfect quality but ran 105c during stress. This one much better 85c. But spacebar and screen plastic are loose and for $1500 im not happy with it.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
But I did decide if needed I could get my budget to $1800. Which would allow me the asus with 870m in it. But that would also bring the msi gt70 with 880m into the equation.

So the asus with 870m, 4700, 16gb ram. Or the msi with 4800, 16gb ram, and 880m, would also get an internal bluray burner with the msi which would mean no more lugging around my external bluray burner.

But that still leaves the question, is msi quality same as asus and worth the switch?

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I guess the best WA to word the question is, how much better is the 870 compared to the 860, for video editing and rendering? Is it worth going msi route, or spending $400 more for the Asus js series? Are they're any drawbacks on 870 vs the 860. I know battery life but otherwise?