Solved! ASUS GL504G - Ethernet pin broke

Feb 4, 2019
Hi Community,
I bought this laptop on October 2018 and accidentally, I put the power cord to the ethernet (yes it fitted perfectly for some reason) with the result being breaking one of the eight pins of the ethernet port. I sent it back to Asus; they told me that I did it (apparently) and the cost will be 1300 euros (I bought the laptop at 1500...). I could buy a type-c to ethernet adapter or a USB to ethernet etc. but I would like to stick with the ethernet on board. I am trying to find an ethernet port replacement, but I really don't know how to look it up. Any ideas? Would be possible, somehow, to just get one pin and put in on the missing one?

Here is the ethernet port.

BDOBP3K.jpg

Here is the ethernet port from inside if that helps at all.
1g1gPFd.jpg

Solution
The pin that you broke off is important. Like I've said it, I doubt you're capable of soldering on the Ethernet port even if we've helped you find one. You could potentially ruin the entire board as well, bringing you back to the 1300 they asked for to begin with. So the cheaper and headache free route would be to go for the adapter.

Lutfij

Splendid
The reason they asked for that amount to fix that issue was that they would replace the entire board. If not then they'd be doing a professional soldering job on the Ethernet port. If I were you I'd make do with an adapter to regain Ethernet connectivity and live/learn from this mistake.

remixislandmusic

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Feb 4, 2019

That's right, they would go for the motherboard but obviously, this is an irony. However, I won't blame the ASUS for asking such an amount but obviously me for doing that, but I would like to stick with the onboard port as I mentioned above.

Feb 4, 2019

I tried to bend the pin back with a tweezer but I failed and broke it. Thanks for the link though!

Lutfij

Splendid
The pin that you broke off is important. Like I've said it, I doubt you're capable of soldering on the Ethernet port even if we've helped you find one. You could potentially ruin the entire board as well, bringing you back to the 1300 they asked for to begin with. So the cheaper and headache free route would be to go for the adapter.

Solution