Asus just DIED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2018
Hi I have a 4 yr old ROG Asus #ASUS GL551JM
Intel Core i74710HQ
2.5GHz 16GB
DDR3 1TB HDD NVIDIA GTX 860M 2GB 15.6" Full HD
Gaming Laptop Windows 8.1 64bit GL551JMDH71. Updated to Win 10 pro over two years ago and has been just fine. I don't even use it that much, mostly to watch videos on Amazon. I bought it for my business but that's been slow.
Out of nowhere I started getting BIOS boot ups only. Went online, checked around and still couldn't find why this was happening.
Tried to re-install Win 10 via Media Creation stick and that did nothing except tell me the partitions on the HD were failing. Bought a brand new HD and installed it, and now NOTHING happens. By Nothing I mean the WHOLE Laptop is DEAD. When I push the power button not a spark of electricity is seen. Plugged in and charged, but Nothing. Is my MOBO fried and if so, HOW did that happen? I have been rebuilding, repairing etc pcs for over 20 years and I've never seen this. I don't know what to do. This pc isn't even paid off yet and now it's a DOORSTOP!! Asus was over $600 to look at it and replace the MOBO. Is that something I can do? I built my own Desktop (from which I am typing this) from the MOBO up, is it possible to buy a MOBO with all things on it except the HD etc for less than $600? Sorry this is so long but I am really upset about this. Thanks for any advice.

I just saw your post in the Welcome thread. I'm a simple man and I start at the most simple possible fix so don't laugh too loudly.

Have you tried removing the battery and only using mains electricity? I know you used mains but if the battery is so close to death, it may not be able to pass power through itself properly.

Dec 13, 2018
The battery is not dead at all. but yes, I took the battery out and tried to start it with just the DC plug. There is still NO power. I am in the process of buying a new motherboard for it.
Thanks for your answer!
Jana

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
It could be that the disk is incorrectly inserted.

What happens when you remove the new hard disk and turn it on? (No HD in the computer)

What happens when you put the old HD in and turn it on?

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

I couldn't see any reference to trying it without HD. That's why I asked.

Can you see a coin cell battery on the motherboard? They are well known for dying and stopping the computer. A new one can be purchased at almost any shop that sells batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.