ASUS K53E charger port stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewoftheMountain

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hi, I purchased a Windows 7 ASUS K53E laptop in early November 2011. The laptop always charged right and worked fine until about a year later, in early December 2012. All of a sudden, I would plug the charger in like I always did, but the charging light would flicker on and off. It takes pressure and force to make it charge, which can only be done if I hold the cord in the charger port and apply lots of pressure with my hand. I know this isn't a problem with the charger because I've tried several different chargers and the results are the same for all of them. I've been dealing with this for months now, but I'm at my wit's end. Can anybody tell me how to fix this WITHOUT me having to buy a new laptop? Note: I've researched it, and a lot of other people have had this problem with ASUS laptops, particularly this model.

Asus_USA

Honorable
May 1, 2013
It sounds like the charging port is bad. It could be the pin or the whole jack. This issue is actually pretty common on a lot of laptops, not just a particular brand. The port will break sometimes.

DewoftheMountain

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, I also asked this question on Yahoo! Answers and talked to an ASUS live chat representative. The power jack has come either come loose or cracked, probably come loose as it's still possible to charge with pressure. I don't have a soldering iron, so I need to take it to a repair shop to have it re-soldered. Thank you!

You're welcome! Avoid the big box places; they outsource that kind of work. See if you can find a reliable mom n' pop repair store nearby. They are more likely to be able to do that kind of work in house, and be more affordable.

Mustang Sally

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I have the same problem on my Asus K53E laptop. It happened a few months after purchase and I thought it was the charger. I would have to disagree that this is a "common" problem on a lot of laptops. It's a labor-intensive fix and quite costly (with no warranty). I have checked Forums and found this is a common problem for Asus K53E owners. Unacceptable. How do we get the folks at Asus to look at the serious nature of this problem?

Hey there Sally,

Saying DC jack repairs are common is perhaps overstating it somewhat, but they do tend to occur quite a bit. Sometimes people are simply too rough on their laptops, which leads to damaged jacks.

The repair is typically only costly if the OEM handles it, or if it's brought to a retailer that has to send it out for that sort of repair. Local repair stores tend to charge right around $50 - $100. Hopefully you don't go the former route if you're out of warranty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.