ASUS K55 or refurbished Thinkpad W / T ?

catinca

Estimable
Aug 12, 2014
My budget is below $1000. My priorities are: long-term durability and speed. I'll be using an external keyboard and monitor, plus installing an SSD drive...so many factors are secondary (except when I'm travelling with the machine...which is not often).

I kind of like the ASUS K55, but I could get a refurbished Thinkpad from the W or T series for an even lower price. Any ideas?

Both brands are good, I'd get a new laptop over a used one for warranty and reliability. Although the Lenovo T and W series are as good as you can get for reliability and build quality.

What is the laptop for? You can check here http://www.xoticpc.com/ for some other options for a gaming system which also would work well for things like CAD or other higher end work. I think that site has one of the easiest to use and largest selections of higher end systems out there from quality brands. MSI and ASUS both have good scores for performance and build quality aside from Lenovo for you to look at.

catinca

Estimable
Aug 12, 2014

catinca

Estimable
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I think I might go for the Asus... It's not for gaming. But I do run a translation business with it. So mostly Word (but a lot of it, with heavy documents, lots of track-changes), at least 8 internet screens open at the same time. I would use it with an external keyboard and external monitor, and would install an SSD in it (and an external HDD). I would only travel with it very occasionally - at which point I would in fact prefer the more modern look and feel of the Asus actually. ... I do not like glossy screens though. Do you happen to know if any of those films people can paste on screens to make them matte are ok, i.e., good enough for Word processing at least ?