Asus K56C upgrade

Ziil

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
I am considering to upgrade my Asus K56C laptop, but not sure is it worth it. Is changing HDD to SSD gives noticeable performance boost? And are there anything else upgradeable?

specifications:
Intel Core i5-3337U
750 GB (ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB) + 24GB SSD(KINGSTON SMSM150S324G)
8 GB
intel hd4000 + GeForce GT 740M

Upgrading to a SSD can make the laptop feel more responsive because of much higher read / write speed. therefore booting up / loading programs will be much quicker. The only other thing you can upgrade is the RAM, but 8GB of enough.

If you are looking to get better gaming performance, then you need to buy a new laptop with a more powerful GPU.

Ziil

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
Thanks for your answer jaguarskx. My goal is to get better performance in everyday use, not looking for better gaming performance.
But few more questions arose. This laptop has 20 GB SSD also, does it affects performance somehow if replacing hdd to ssd? Should I change some settings before/after replaceing?
And another question is about ram, asus website says that 8GB is max for this laptop, but some sources gives another information like 16 GB also works. Maybe someone here have experiences with it, does more than 8 GB works with this laptop series?

And final question. If I have bios based windows product key and new SSD is replaced, installing windows goes without problems? Just need to mount right windows image fail?

The 20GB SSD acts like a cache for the HDD to speed up performance. It will not have any affect if you replace the HDD with a SSD.

There are likely several different models of the Asus K56C like the K56CB and K56CM so a specific laptop model # would help. I suppose it depends on how many RAM slots it has. If there are two RAM slots, then technically the laptop can support up to 16GB of RAM, but the laptop's BIOS would need to support that amount of RAM. For the average person 8GB of RAM is more than enough especially for average daily usage.

You should not have a problem with the product key. Generally, speaking the SSD you purchase should come with software that allows you to clone the hard drive. However, you need to purchase a USB to SATA cable to connect the SSD drive to the laptop to do the cloning process.

Ziil

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
specific laptop model is K56CB. But if there is no difference 8GB vs 16GB in everyday use, I think I will not bother, but if it will give a little boost, I will defenatly consider to add additional 8 GB.

Cloning hard drive is something I have to do? Just clean install is not enought?

Ziil

Estimable
Mar 26, 2014
laptop did not came with windows 7 DVD. I have bios based product key (win 8), which I updated to win 10. If I will download right win 10 image fail, which for example I will boot from usb, then it will not going to work?

Yeah, if it did not come with a Win 7 DVD, then you should click the following link as a solution to get Windows 10 installed on the SSD. You will need a USB thumb drive or a blank DVD for this process.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/