ASUS K56CM HDD Stopped working after defrag. HELP

domse

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm here once again, having a big problem.

Yesterday I put my ASUS K56CM laptop running Windows 7 to defrag my C disk over the night. In the middle of the night, I woke up and my laptop was making weird clicking noise, at about 2-3 second intervals. I also noticed that my HDD stops spinning for about 0.3 seconds and spins up again. I defregged my laptop many times, but this is the first time it does the clicking sound.

I tried to put my laptop to sleep, the screen blanked, and blue screen occured. I shut it down completely and left it for the morning. In the morning, I pressed the power button, the big ASUS logo popped up (as always), and screen said failed to boot. I tried changing the priority but it didn't work.

Later, I opened my computer's back, unscrewed the hdd, and put it back again. This time it booted up into windows, but froze after the desktop loaded and was making that ticking noise. I shut it down and browsed some other forums. I found out that if I tap the side of where the hdd is several times, it should positiond the head. Incredibly, it worked. The hdd worked for about 3 hours,until I plugged in a steering wheel through a usb port. The clicking noise was back and blue screen appeared again
15wjudf.jpg
(yes i was using external monitor). So I restarted my laptop and this sound came out of the hdd PRESS HERE FOR THE SOUND and this screen appeared
2hqf12c.jpg
(yes, the hard drive stopped by itself, bringing that screen)

Here is some more information:
w2lta0.jpg

dg0w78.jpg

2q02d12.jpg

4qmv7s.jpg

15zp9h5.jpg

Now asking for help, because I don't know what to do next. My computer specs: Intel Core i7 3537U 2-core, 12 GB RAM DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GT 635M, 500GB WD Blue HDD. I bought it 4 Months ago. Sorry for bad english, I'm from Lithuania. I am sitting right next to this computer, ready to be tested. Please help, I'm desperate!

Solution

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
it sounds like you hard drive is faulty :'(
first thing you want to do is backup any data you have on the laptop that you don't want to lose.

next you will want to check the hdd. simplest way is you tap the "F8" button on your laptop as it's starts up. this will bring up some boot options. select the top option which should be "Repair Your Computer"

once your pick your language and logged in. you will some options. if you click "Command Promt" and in the the window that opens type "chkdsk c: /r" or "chkdsk d: /r" this will check you hdd and try and recover any corrupt files. at the end you will get a little read out. if you have any "Bad Sectors" then your hard drive is faulty and you should return your laptop for repair or replacement.

domse

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Thank You for Your answer, but I'm tapping F8 but nothing happens.

Asus_Fred

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Based on the information you have provided it seems to me that the HDD is completely out now. You may not even be able to backup some files depending on how severe the defect is. Since you've only purchased it for about 4 months I would suggest that you contact a local support and have the system looked at.

Solution

domse

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I put my laptop for about a day and booted into safe mode with command prompt, started typing chkdsk c: and it froze up on me, blue screen again :( i'm now choosing between hdd - sshd - ssd, i have a internal 3.5" HDD from my old desktop, could I buy a HDD case and put it in there?

Asus_Fred

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Domse, a 3.5 HDD will not fit in this unit. You will need to look for a 2.5 HDD drive.

domse

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Yes, I know, but can I use that internal HDD with a case to use it as an external HDD?

Asus_Fred

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Thats correct, if you take the HDD out you can put it in an external enclosure and use it. Of course unless its defective.