Asus K75VJ - Upgrade CPU

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hi i know i can upgrade my laptop from Intel® Core™ i5 3210M to Intel® Core™ i7 3630QM.

The graphic card is GT 635m (i know its poor)

Please tell me how big boost it will be.

Solution

Passmark.com has a benchmarking tool and charts of all the processors. You can read up on their methodology to see how they test the hardware. But there are other sources for benchmarks and I have found that all of them seem to tell the same story and I have come to rely on passmark simply because it is easy to use. I realize there are a lot of variables that go into benchmarking and maybe I should have said scored twice as high, but basically what it is...

Rapajez

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Usually, the only upgrades you can make to a laptop are additional memory, or swapping out the hard drive for a solid state drive (SSD). I don't know of ANY laptop brands that allow you to upgrade a CPU. Even if you could, I'd save your money.

If you want to make an old laptop feel snappier, add some RAM, or pick up a low profile SSD, like the Samsung 850 EVO.

That said, the i7 is a bit faster, and is a quad core vs a dual-core, which will make a difference in the newest games, or if you actually do CPU-intensive tasks (encoding/decoding video/audio, casting, etc...)

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hi thx for fast response

"That said, the i7 is a bit faster, and is a quad core vs a dual-core, which will make a difference in the newest games, or if you actually do CPU-intensive tasks (encoding/decoding video/audio, casting, etc...)"

Well maybe my question wasnt so clear... Wanted only to know how much it will be better in games (fps boost).
I know gt 635m is low GPU and maybe upgrading CPU will be pointless... (but wanted some info how much different)

Rapajez

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
It's kind of moot, because you can't upgrade a laptop CPU either way. (Edit: Apparently you can. See below.)

But in general--you may notice a difference in some games that are optimized for quad-core CPUs, but you're going to hit a GPU bottleneck way before that happens.

If you're going to do anything to that laptop, upgrade to 8GB Total of RAM, Grab a Samsung 850 EVO to replace your hard drive (drastically improves responsiveness and loading times), and maybe take the free upgrade to Windows 10, if you haven't already.

Rapajez

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Hmmm...that's a first. Keep in mind, double a passmark score (which is going to actually use those extra cores), does not translate to double the gaming performance. Especially for the price you'll pay.

I'd still recommend saving your money, or investing in one of those alternatives before dropping that kind of $$$.

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
"You would get about double the power per passmark".

Can u give me more info or soruce or maybe how can i check that (Some sites,Simulators maybe)?

Well the cost is only 120$ for me and can sell that i5 then maybe i will pay like 60$.
Rapajez i allready got SSD and 8 GB Ram.

cockroach

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello, I have the i7 variant of your laptop. First of all the graphics card is not that bad, you can handle almost all games, at least on minimum. Sadly you cannot upgrade the processor to i7. The laptop was built to supply certain power to your cpu. The i7 is not only more power hungry, but also a different architecture. (i7 Quad Core vs i5 Dual Core). It depends on what you want. I upgaded my laptop to SSD, and that totally changes your performance. It will make booting much faster. But for gaming, you will need a new laptop, or drop the graphics to minimum. Good luck! :)

BadAsAl

Distinguished

Passmark.com has a benchmarking tool and charts of all the processors. You can read up on their methodology to see how they test the hardware. But there are other sources for benchmarks and I have found that all of them seem to tell the same story and I have come to rely on passmark simply because it is easy to use. I realize there are a lot of variables that go into benchmarking and maybe I should have said scored twice as high, but basically what it is telling you is it is a significant upgrade.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished

In my experience in swapping processors in laptops, if the manufacturer lists a processor as an option for that exact model, as they do here: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K75VJ/specifications/ then any processor on that list is a drop in replacement.

I cannot possibly have seen everything of course so if you have a link to something that says it won't work on this model I'd like to see it please.

cockroach

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

I do not have a link exactly, but I did some research when it came to upgrading a few laptops, including mine too. I could be wrong though. In theory it should work, but it is advised to keep it in the same class. If OP can test if it works then go ahead.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
It is a bit of a gamble for sure, and really only way to know is to do it or find someone who has that can confirm it works.
With a ton of different manufacturers and models of laptops that, even within the same model, don't always use the same hardware, it is a jungle out there.

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
ok thanks all

i have only one request to cockroach

Can u put your score from that site https://www.passmark.com?
I will test tomorrow and see what is the different.

spoon793

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Yes, You can. I have K75VJ.
I did it last week and it's working great, no problem with high temp, same like i5-3210m (that I had)
That's no problem with TDP 45W(i7) > 35(i5)
my passmark http://www.tinypic.pl/ddnn7gkch2jp

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

Hi you bought i7 3630QM ?

spoon793

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016

Yep, I did.
Today I bought ssd, update passmark http://images.tinypic.pl/i/00846/4h39vo51xfuc.jpg