Solved! Asus laptop boots up but the screen remains completely black, and a monitor doesn’t detect it. any idea on what the problem might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2020
One day my laptop’s screen just wouldn’t turn on. So far I’ve tried: Turning it on and off, doing a hard reset, shining a light on/around the screen(there was nothing, it’s just purely black) and plugging it into a monitor. (which had been tested with a pc, neither it nor the cables are faulty). The laptop can be logged into and I was able to get music to play on it using the keyboard. The monitor I have shows an orange light when they’re connected, as if the laptop is in sleepmode or shut off. Maybe because it’s not giving out any picture? I’m hoping it’s not a hardware problem and actually something super obvious haha

Solution
One day my laptop’s screen just wouldn’t turn on. So far I’ve tried: Turning it on and off, doing a hard reset, shining a light on/around the screen(there was nothing, it’s just purely black) and plugging it into a monitor. (which had been tested with a pc, neither it nor the cables are faulty). The laptop can be logged into and I was able to get music to play on it using the keyboard. The monitor I have shows an orange light when they’re connected, as if the laptop is in sleepmode or shut off. Maybe because it’s not giving out any picture? I’m hoping it’s not a hardware problem and actually something super obvious haha

I would usually suggest that there is a corrupt file system preventing your laptop from booting (black...
Dec 9, 2020
I didn’t realize realize it was a question, sorry. The assumption was right though, The screen always stays completely off, I just navigate using the keyboard and muscle memory

One last thing to try. When you start up, try to enter the BIOS. I hope you know how to do that on your machine as it varies from machine to machine. In doing this, the BIOS will write to the display using no Windows software at all. That will absolutely eliminate the chance there is some weird SW issue. If you can see the BIOS display, odds are very good the problem is broken video HW on the motherboard. If so, you need a new motherboard.

Deciplox

Great
Dec 8, 2020

I would usually suggest that there is a corrupt file system preventing your laptop from booting (black screen), but due to the fact you are still able to navigate to turn music on...hmm.

Step 1 ) I suggest you try removing the memory modules (RAM) and re inserting them . If this fails Go to next step.

Step 2) I suggest you power down the laptop. Once laptop is powered down, hold shift and power on - Hopefully fingers crossed this loads you in Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment. then you can troubleshoot.

Any issues i am here to help

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.