Asus Laptop extremely Slow and Wifi Malfunctioning

Whebblewhite

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Having recently moved to the US from Australia I have begun to notice, and be annoyed at my Laptop's load time. It can sometimes take several minutes for it to boot up, and loading applications or browsers is often slow.

Not only this but my wifi also intermittently drops from my laptop while still being accessible on my phone and tablet. I have looked at previous threads to determine the problem but all solutions offered there have only provided temporary relief before problem starts again. Im constantly, 2-3 times a day, uninstalling and reinstalling wifi drivers as well as rebooting the modem to gain wifi access for a short amount of time. (This does not happeb if I directly connect to modem through cable)

My Laptop is about 2 years old. It is a F451MA-VX015H, currently running Windows 10. 2gbs Ram. The Wifi adaptor is Atheros, specifically AR9485, which according to troubleshoot is currently up-to-date.

Hoping for a solution to either one or both of the problems described above.

Thanks!

Since you already tried some things, start clean, new Windows setup, install drivers for the modem from ASUS. Upgrade RAM to at least 4 GB, if the hard drive is not a solid state, get a solid state for it. Does the WiFi issue happen everywhere or just at your house? Did you check for a router firmware update? Reboot the router?

Whebblewhite

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016

Thanks, Reinstalling Windows has made the laptop run a lot faster and a lot smoother. So cheers for that suggestion. The Wi-Fi is still problematic, I don't take my laptop out much so I haven't experienced the problem anyway else. I will check that. In the meantime I have updated the firmware on the router, and rebooted the router but the problem is still persisting. Not sure what to try next!