Asus Laptop going to black screen and becoming unresponsive

klogan2594

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
So my friend has an older Asus k53t laptop, and I can not for the life of me figure out what the problem with it is. When it boots up, it works for a few minutes max, then the screen goes black and it becomes unresponsive. It's not an OS problem, because it does it even in the BIOS. I don't think it's a display problem, because the backlight stays on, and when I hook it up to an external monitor through its VGA out port, the external monitor shows a black screen as well. Any idea on what the problem might be?

rkodijmg

Estimable
Aug 6, 2014

I actually have the same problem on my asus m51t

Probably the video chip. I have no idea whether it's dedicated or integrated though unless you state the model. This happens sometimes as a subtle indicator of overheating (had a Dell personally that exhibited the same thing until it was cleaned out and had new thermal compound applied).

hibiskus

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
have the same issue as rkodijmg, also on asus mt51t (my model is mt51ta).
i reflowed the motherboard, and seemd to work for a day or two and then BAM! black screen all over again..
i reflowed my mobo again, but no luck this time.. (ofc, i put apply new paste everytime)

Also, i dont get the signal to na external monitor. (monitor goes to Power saving mode)
while im at it, would it help if i put thermal pads instead of paste on processor,gpu,etc..?

the laptop itself is working, i can hear the dvd-rom, hdd, later the fan spinning.. but no picture.
and i noticed that my dvd-rom works kinda weird.. i put a cd in it,as if its trying to read it but fails and restarts every 6-7 seconds apart..

It's the display adapter/video chip (which, if I'm looking at the same system, looks to be the Mobility Radeon HD 3650). If everything else is passing POST, then the computer will continue to boot as normal. It won't put out a video signal though as long as that display adapter is down.

hebiskus

Estimable
Aug 18, 2014

yeah.. thats what i thought.. its soldered to mobo..
the problem is that a replacement motherboard exceeds the price of my laptop..

(hibiskus)

That's common (on both counts). Sometimes you can find a refurbished or used but working board from individual sellers. The board is almost always the most expensive component in a laptop, though.