ASUS laptop has blank screen....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokada

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Hello all. I have an ASUS X53E laptop that I use as my HTPC....don't laugh. :)

I recently bought an Amazon Basics powered 10 port usb hub that has 3 external hard drives plugged in to it, as well as an IR usb stick to allow control of Windows Media Center with my Logitech Harmony remote. Here's the problem: The 10 port usb hub is connected to the laptop via a usb connection (obviously). When I powered up my laptop, I saw either a black screen or a black screen with the ASUS logo. When I unplugged the 10 port usb hub the laptop booted normally. From there I plugged the usb hub back in and everything worked perfectly. I was able to access all 3 external drives no problem and I was able to control WMC. I'm curious as to why the laptop doesn't boot normally when the hub is plugged in, and then boots up when the hub is unplugged. Is it going into sleep mode? Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Got it figured out. Turns out one of the ext drives that was plugged into the usb hub was causing the hang up. One by one I unplugged each usb cable/stick to see what would happen. When I unplugged the culprit drive the boot sequence commenced. I then plugged that ext drive straight into the laptop and everything worked fine. So thanks for the suggestions.

One thing. Initially I went into the bios to remove the usb option from the boot sequence but there wasn't an option for that. The only options were to boot from the laptops hard drive or the cd drive. I don't know why asus would remove the usb option. Anyway, it's working so thanks again!

gokada

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

I'll def do that when I get home from work. That sounds like a very possible and logical solution. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks a bunch popatim!

gokada

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014

Hmm, perhaps I should be more patient and wait a bit longer. I'll try that first. If it doesn't work I'll try popatim's solution. Thanks very much for the reply...

gokada

Estimable
Aug 10, 2014
Got it figured out. Turns out one of the ext drives that was plugged into the usb hub was causing the hang up. One by one I unplugged each usb cable/stick to see what would happen. When I unplugged the culprit drive the boot sequence commenced. I then plugged that ext drive straight into the laptop and everything worked fine. So thanks for the suggestions.

One thing. Initially I went into the bios to remove the usb option from the boot sequence but there wasn't an option for that. The only options were to boot from the laptops hard drive or the cd drive. I don't know why asus would remove the usb option. Anyway, it's working so thanks again!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.