Asus laptop keyboard issues. Can't get the @ sign anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asusweary

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I have an Asus laptop running Windows 8 and all of a sudden I can't get the '@' sign to work. All I get when using the 'shift' key is the " symbol so I can't email or login to anything. Help!

Solution
Hello Asusweary

Can you please elaborate if it is only the @ button that is typing the wrong characters or other keys of the keyboard have the same issue?

This issue can be because of any of the two reasons.

1) The Fn key on your laptop's keyboard is locked.

2) The keyboard layout/input language has been changed.

Can you please tell the exact model of your ASUS laptop? This would help in giving you the exact solution as how to unlock the Fn key either from BIOS or by pressing any toggle key(s). Also, in some laptop models, there is no Fn locking system at all.

In case you are not sure what to do or don't want to dive into the BIOS configuration stuff, you can check if the keyboard layout and input language is set to English US...
Hello Asusweary

Can you please elaborate if it is only the @ button that is typing the wrong characters or other keys of the keyboard have the same issue?

This issue can be because of any of the two reasons.

1) The Fn key on your laptop's keyboard is locked.

2) The keyboard layout/input language has been changed.

Can you please tell the exact model of your ASUS laptop? This would help in giving you the exact solution as how to unlock the Fn key either from BIOS or by pressing any toggle key(s). Also, in some laptop models, there is no Fn locking system at all.

In case you are not sure what to do or don't want to dive into the BIOS configuration stuff, you can check if the keyboard layout and input language is set to English US. Here is how:

> Go to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language.

> From the Region and Language box, go to the Keyboards and Languages tab.

> Click the Change keyboards button present under the Keyboards and other input languages.

> From the Text Services and Input Languages box, on the General tab, from the Installed services section, move the EN English (United States) keyboard service to the top by pressing the Move Up button from the right.

> Click OK to save the changes and try using the @ sign again.

Let me know if more assistance is needed. Good Luck!!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.