Asus Laptop overheating problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
My Asus Z84J has been overheating off and on for quite some time. Both of my system fans actually died about 1 year ago and I replaced them both. I regularly disassemble and clean the heatsinks and fans on this system, yet the heat is still a problem. I recently tried applying new thermal paste to the CPU as I found the existing paste was dried up and flaking off. Does anybody have any ideas about what I should do from here? My system is idling at around 70C and under moderate to high loads it can reach into the upper 90s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Solution
The only thing I can think of is completely taking apart that laptop, cleaning out all the dust, and make sure the heat sink is nice and tight on the CPU. Since it sounds like the heat sink isn't even touching CPU for some odd reason.

Otherwise...that laptop seems to have a good and long life. I don't know what else to suggest.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Hello,

Yikes reaching the upper 90's...since you mentioned you've already tried cleaning it out...re applying the thermal paste as well, the only other thing I could reccomend is getting a cooling pad.

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
It should be noted that I have never applied thermal paste before this, so I am unsure if I did it correctly. Would incorrect application cause such spikes in temperature or am I just being overly hopeful here? It just seems odd that the heat would be so out of control when this computer ran perfectly fine for the first several years of ownership.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Yes it is possible that applying too much thermal paste can cause it to over heat as well. For applying thermal paste it should be a very thin film on top of the CPU - almost see -through.

All thermal paste does is fill in the cracks and crevices of the cpu heatspreader- because if you look at the heat spreader under a microscope sideways - you would notice it loooks like the andes mountains - and thermal paste fills those in to transfer the heat better to your heatsink.

As time goes on - hardware becomes less efficient due to stresses of heat and power. You mentioned you've had it for 7 years - IMO that's a very long time for a laptop and seems you have taken care of it.

Can you tell me the exact specifications of your laptop? I looked it up, but was unsure if they were the same as yours.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Ok. That generation of video cards were known to run hot.

You might be putting too much thermal paste on - how much do you put anyways?

Some say a pea size...but sometimes that just might be a bit much.

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm still having this issue. My video card is not the problem here as it is running in the 40s. Even just sitting in the BIOS my CPU temp is reaching upper 90s or higher. I have applied/reapplied thermal paste several times to no end. Is it possible for a heatsink to go bad? My heatsink is very hot to the touch near the CPU but there is no hot air coming out of the corresponding vent. My fan is working properly and blowing a lot of air, but it just wont cool down. Any suggestions on this?

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The only thing I can think of is completely taking apart that laptop, cleaning out all the dust, and make sure the heat sink is nice and tight on the CPU. Since it sounds like the heat sink isn't even touching CPU for some odd reason.

Otherwise...that laptop seems to have a good and long life. I don't know what else to suggest.

Solution

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Heat sink must not have been touching the cpu somehow. I bought a new heatsink from a different model Asus and cut it to size with a hacksaw. Now temps are well within the normal range again. Thanks for all the help :)

CookieMonger

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I ordered a heatsink for an Asus Z84F and cut about a centimeter off the blades on the end. Also bent the copper to align properly. It was a last ditch effort for sure, but my laptop has been running with no problems since. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.