ASUS laptop stuck in Aptio Setup Utility loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianson

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hi, my laptop crashed and when it turned back on it booted into Aptio Setup Utility. When I exit out without saving it takes me straight back to the main menu of the utility, when I save and exit it takes me to the ASUS startup screen for a bit before shoving me straight back into the utility. When I try the "fix" here http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1854127/solve-problem-aptio-setup-utility.html it just gives me the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot drive and press a key ". My laptops model number is N551JQ I am running Windows 8. My laptop came pre installed with a SSD by the way. I'm stuck and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Safe mode is entered a tad differently. I can give you the way to do that. Don't know that it will help any, but hey I am grasping at straws at this point. :)

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command...
Try the following and see if it resolves the problem.

1. In the Aptio Setup Utility, select the "boot" menu and then select "Launch CSM" and change it to "enable".

2. Next select the "Security" menu and then select "secure Boot Control" and change to "disable".

3. Now select "Save & Exit" and press "yes".

4. Once you have done this, hold down the "power" button until the laptop turns off completely.

5. Now you want to power it back on and continually press the "F9" button for about ten seconds or until you are taken to the "Windows Recovery Menu".

6. In here select "Advanced Start Up" and then, once the recovery menu appears, select "Advance Options".

7. Choose "System Restore" and select a date prior to when the problem started.

The computer should now go through the restore process and then start normally for you.

Reactions: Fieldsma

brianson

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Still doesn't work just gives the error "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". Also when I try this it says I need to disable Secure Boot control before I can enable launch CSM.

brianson

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Dammit the hard drive must be damaged, I've tried at least 10 times.

brianson

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Is this supposed to take me into safe mode? Apparently that doesn't work on Windows 8.

Safe mode is entered a tad differently. I can give you the way to do that. Don't know that it will help any, but hey I am grasping at straws at this point. :)

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Solution

Julie_1990

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

I've tried this and it still won't work. What else can be done I need to get into it asap so I can get photos off it

Miles_14

Prominent
May 15, 2017

Miles_14

Prominent
May 15, 2017
I was also stuck in the "reboot or insert disk" black screen and pushing the function kets (f5, f9, etc...) wasn't changing anything. I tried turning the computer off and then disconnecting the battery (generally found on the back of the laptop) and then plugging it back in. When I restarted the computer was able to turn on and take me to my desktop. Worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.