Asus Laptop unable to boot (black screen, no bios)

Angel_52

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I have Asus UX303LA. Recently the plastic where the hinges are attached to the laptop cover got broken (very common problem)
I bought a new cover to replace the broken one. When I put everything together the laptop would not boot.
When I press the power button the led on the Power button and on Caps Lock is on for about 4-5 seconds and then is off again.
The screen is blank. The cooling fan is not spinning. I check the power adapter and the battery.
They are fine and the led on the side works - it is amber showing the battery is charging and after a while it gets green
which indicates the battery is charged at 100%.

I tried everything mentioned in this forum to no avail:

- removed the battery and tried to boot only using the power adapter
- tried to boot with the memory removed
- tried to boot with the hard drive removed
- tried FN+F5+Power
- tried FN+F2+Power
- tried to press and hold Power for 30 seconds and then attach the power adapter.

I took the laptop apart to inspect for any visual problems 3 or 4 times.
There is nothing wrong that I can see.

I just watched 55 minute video about reballing a GPU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0X7CNmHMY

I do not have the skills and tools or the patience to try this.
I bought this laptop 2 years and 10 days ago. The warranty is 12 months and the credit card provides additional 1 year extended warranty.
Unfortunately I am past this.

Also talked to ASUS on the phone. Their estimated general repair cost is USD 690.
I guess i ended up with a brick. Thank you ASUS :(

I am better off buying the same computer brand new with the next generation CPU it is USD 700.
BUT I will not do this. This is because I know how crappy this product is first hand.
While I am at this I should mention that the power adapter is crappy too - I got through two of these. Too fragile.
And when I wanted to upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10 and asked ASUS for Win 8 retail CD they refused to send one.
I have a Samsung laptop and Samsung gladly sent me a CD when I asked for one.

This is GOODBUY ASUS! NO more!