Solved! ASUS laptop won't turn on please help :(

May 21, 2021
I have an ASUS TUF gaming FX505DY, bought in December 2019.
This morning I turned the laptop on and it booted up as normal. I left it alone for a bit then came back to log in and the mouse started to freeze and then the whole thing froze. In a panic I turned the laptop off by holding down the power button, which I've done a couple of times before and had no issue. When the laptop turned "off" I don't think it actually did correctly. The light up keyboard is still on and I can hear very faintly sounds inside the laptop but the fans are not on. And the screen is not on. I tried plugging a HDMI cable from it to a TV but ggot nothing. I had an external hard drive plugged in and a new wireless mouse plugged in which I think might have caused something?

I have tried the unplug and hold the power button for 40 seconds trick and nothing happened. It doesn't have a removable battery unfortunately so I've just left it unplugged hoping it will run out of juice and then I can power it on from there.

Has anyone had anything similar happen and if so what did you do? I can't really afford to send it off for repairs so literally any tip would be very helpful! Thank you!

Solution
Probably a bad motherboard, those models are not very reliable. I have the same model and it needed a new motherboard replaced after about 8 months of use, very loud fans also, not good cooling. That will cause hardware issues as things get hot and start to flex and crack.

There is a removable battery, you need to open the case to unplug it.
Probably a bad motherboard, those models are not very reliable. I have the same model and it needed a new motherboard replaced after about 8 months of use, very loud fans also, not good cooling. That will cause hardware issues as things get hot and start to flex and crack.

There is a removable battery, you need to open the case to unplug it.

Reactions: grogford
Solution