Asus N550JK black screen isue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miros8111

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi guys

I have problems with my ASUS N550JK. I read a lot of forums and solutions for black screen fix for asus but this problem is specific. Normally notebook works fine without any problems for one month or two weeks and so on. But there are periods for example last week when screen does not work at all. For example Now I am writing this post normally and I am using whole screen. But tomorow my screen could start turning off. I have everything setup black or dark. Black backround color black programming IDE. But when I use something like explorer with white backround I can only put it only at half of the screen. If it is full screen it turns off. Then I can normally turn it on again with fn+f7 key but immediatelly after that screens turn off again. Than I use win + > key to make window half sized and after fn+f7 everything is fine and screen is on. But sometimes it works fine even with full screen white backround. I want put ssd to this device and work with it normally it is great computer but I am going crazy with this issue. On external monitor everything works fine.
Notebook is 2.5 years old and in servis they told me it is not screen problem and it could be graphic chip. But I dont believe it because external monitor works fine.
I have windows 8.1 but I met with same issue also on ubuntu 14.04

Thank you for your time and helpful posts.
Sorry for my bad english

My configuration is
N550jk 15.6 inch
Fullhd ips non-touch matte
i7 4700Hq
HDD 7200 ot/s
8gb ddr3 ram
Nvidia geforce 850m 4gb ddr3

Reactions: dusk_topia
Solution
You are right. If you can run an external monitor and get no problems at all over extended periods,l where the attached display will be problematic in that time frame, it isn't the GPU.

It could be the ribbon cable connecting the display. If it is loose, damaged, pinched, bent, etc. That can lead to intermittent working/not working.

Also, when it goes out, try looking at the screen from different angles with a flashlight. Can you see your desktop, even just slightly? If not then the display is totally off.

If it isn't the cable and you can't see anything with the flashlight, next I would check your drivers. Check for updates, or, if by any chance they updated just before this started, try rolling back to prior to the update.

If...
You are right. If you can run an external monitor and get no problems at all over extended periods,l where the attached display will be problematic in that time frame, it isn't the GPU.

It could be the ribbon cable connecting the display. If it is loose, damaged, pinched, bent, etc. That can lead to intermittent working/not working.

Also, when it goes out, try looking at the screen from different angles with a flashlight. Can you see your desktop, even just slightly? If not then the display is totally off.

If it isn't the cable and you can't see anything with the flashlight, next I would check your drivers. Check for updates, or, if by any chance they updated just before this started, try rolling back to prior to the update.

If none of this works, I would start thinking it is the display itself.

Solution

bob.holzy

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

bob.holzy

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Not an answer but my F7E. Also, when it goes out, try looking at the screen from different angles with a flashlight. Can you see your desktop, even just slightly? If not then the display is totally off.
I can see the screen with a flashlight. Can you tell me what you think the problem is then please

Status
Not open for further replies.