Asus n550jk webcam not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixa95ost

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Hi guys I had some problems with the built-in webcam on my laptop that is running Windows 8.1 64 bit . When I would start the application (Camera) it would tell me to Connect the camera? So I tried to update the driver and it still did not work, I even rebooted it few times and did the system restore to when it worked properly but it still wouldn't work. So in the end I uninstalled the driver hoping I would install the new driver but now I can't find the driver online. I have tried finding it on Asus Support website but it seems that there is no driver for the webcam. Can someone help me please? Thank, you.

Solution

I had the same problem. I had to go to the ASUS support page, and download camera drivers for a diff laptop model, and use...

kdddd

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015

I had the same problem. I had to go to the ASUS support page, and download camera drivers for a diff laptop model, and use the download for windows 7 instead of 8. I also found that the problem wasn't the drivers at all, but with the laptop.... open your camera application and then open your laptop screen all the way! Yes I know the screen will be aimed at the ceiling, but it worked. For whatever reason, it has to do with how much you have your laptop physically opened. Hope this helps

Solution

mixa95ost

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for replying but that didn't help :/ I believe it's a hardware issue since it simply can't recognize it at all...it looks to me like the camera really isn't connected...but I really don't wanna take it to the Service because It's brand new and I don't want them to open it up and mess with it since I just bought it...until I'm 100% sure that it is a technical problem..

sebz001

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015
Same problem here, it look like issue with camera connector. My camera work only when I put my screen in certain angles. I already had to replace my first asus because of monitor connection (screen was flickering when I moved it), So on this one screen connector is ok, but camera is somehow loose.
its probably easy fix, but so far it doesn't bother me, so I didn't try to "tape it" ;)
Before I returned my previous one I opened it to check , there are cables from monitor taped to board. Tape is getting hot and maybe that is a reason for loosing connection? Im just guessing.

Jicnon

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

I have a similar problem. I went to use skype one day and got the error that it could not find a webcam, though I had used the built in camera the day before without issue. I then found that for some reason my computer had updated the webcam privacy settings to not allow skype to use them, so I changed it back and it worked. However, the next time I started up my computer the webcam was not working again, regardless of the webcam's privacy settings. Now when I go to device manager I do not see a category for imaging devices.

Additionally, ASUS's website doesn't seem to list any camera drivers for this laptop that I can find. Where were you all finding these drivers to install? What model of laptop did you install the driver for that fixed your problem so that I know where to look to try an dfix mine?

MissKaramatic

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015

Holy hell I can't believe how much time I've spent on trying to find drivers and other such solutions only to find this tip and it works >.<

Michael_65

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015
At a year old my i7 Asus RJ550V webcam would not work except when angled way back or forward. It took a while but I found it was the cable as it passed from the board into the back screen if tweeked would connect again. Tried a few things then thought of the 1.25" / 32mm wide high temp shrink for electrical cable that had a bit of bounce that I though might be able to apply the push away from the lug for the screen attachment and do the trick on that cable tension problem.

Tried a few different widths cut as a ring and found one that was just a bit oversize and would jam in when folded down double with the bulge at the top applying a little pressure when the back was screwed back on.

Unsure as to why the cable was giving the short out type fault as it looked reasonable well bound in black reinforced tape.

Looks to me like a design fault as what Laptop is not opened and closed a lot so putting a bit of movement on that cable.

twoofeach

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

This fixed my issue! Thanks for the unusual problem solving, this is very unexpected and helpful.
May your faucet start flowing beer 24/7 and be served by topless maid.

Status
Not open for further replies.