ASUS N550JV or HP ENVY 17, which one is the best to buy?

khealou

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a new laptop soon and i'm considering these 2 options

Hp ENVY 17-J099EF
Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2GHz Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20GHz)
8GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
2x HDD 750GB 5400rpm
Nvidia GT 750m 2GB GDDR3
17.3" FullHD Display 1920x1080 (matte screen)
Li-ion 6 Cells Battery
Windows 8 OS

Asus N550JV-CN127H
Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40GHz)
16GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
1x HDD 1TB 5400rpm
Nvidia GT 750m 4GB GDDR3
15.6" FullHD IPS Display 1920x1080 (matte screen)
Li-Polymer 4 Cells Battery
Windows 8 OS

I do Web design, video editing and play some heavy games from time to time.
The price is not an issue, but I want the laptop that can last long and handle heavy tasks.

PS: a Samsung SSD Pro is the first upgrade I'll make after buying one of the laptops above, any thoughts on which one is the best to go with? Thanks

Solution
The Asus, would like a bigger monitor, but I normally plug into a regular monitor when working for any length of time, extra DRAM will be very handy with the video work

khealou

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Thanks for your answer. I have one last question before I go with the Asus laptop:
In your personal opinion -and you seem to be an expert-, Is Asus a good, reliable brand? Can I trust their products?

Tradesman1

Honorable
I've been using Asus back to the 90's, they are if not the best, right there at the best, I've used a large number of their products, mobos, GPUs, monitors, networking, tv tuners, laptops, tablets, etc.....without any problems worth mentioning....currently I feel they have the best handle on the Z87 and Haswell CPUs, and with their rep I look to them first for mobos and laptops - hope that helps ;)

khealou

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

You can't imagine how much you helped me -^^- ... going to order the N550jv next week :)

SploogeFactory

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I've had 2 N550JV's in the last 2 weeks. Both had the SAME problem with the graphics card (nVidia GT750M). After a week or so of gaming the laptop stopped recognising the GPU, nVidia Control Panel wouldn't open and the error "Nvidia cannot display settings; You are not using a monitor attached to an nVidia GPU".

Called ASUS, they said it was a hardware problem and I had to take it back, got a new one and lo and behold the same problem after gaming. My FPS dropped dramatically and that was the first sign.

Mind you, I did everything I could before bringing it back in, System Restore, Installing new drivers from nVidia and also installing the drivers that came with the laptop from AsusTek, nothing worked. This has been a terrible experience for me with this product, I'm not sure I could recommend it. Before the malfunctioning though it was a great laptop, ran fast and smoothly.

Asus Support Centre actually said that if I didn't want to run into the problem again then it might be best not to get the same laptop again as they said the integrated GPU tech was relatively new and has some problems. It all depends on what you want though, you stated gaming and that's a big one with me as well. Hopefully you have a better experience.

NickHalden

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I have the same problem too. Now Asus take my laptop to change new graphic card. Really afraid that the problem might happen again in the future. Did ASUS people suggest anything to you to prevent the problem from happen again?

Froddy

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I had the same problem after 4 weeks. I don't play any game. My model was CN201. I think Asus has a real problem. It's a pity because the laptop is very nice.