Asus N550L fake charging issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

555Timer

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello, i'm repairing an Asus N550L laptop from a friend of mine. Now, the battery was dead, i bought a known good and brand new laptop Battery. I have experience with circuit boards and IC's, and i found out that the BMS (battery management circuit) from the dead battery is broken. And the trigger pin wasn't working so it couldn't process the signal from the laptop in order to supply voltage and turn it on. So i was only able to turn it on WHILE the charger was plugged in. Now, with the new battery, i'm able to turn it on without charger connected.

Its not the DCIN jack. I checked that and resoldered just to make sure the connections are solid, no improvements where made.

But here is the problem, it says its charging, but technically, it isn't. How is this possible? The charging brick is known good btw, the battery too. Could this be software? If not, what component on the circuit board should i be looking for, the SMC? I really need help as this laptop is pretty expensive and we already wasted good money on it. So any help is welcome.

I tried the 60 sec button press without battery trick, did not help and i expected that as most basic things doesn't work infortunately.

I'm capable if doing board repair and trouble shoot but can't find any info about this computer so i need help.

Thanks

Edit: do i need to update BIOS? It doesn't charge even when turned OFF. The charging LED stays steady orange.

And i really need help.

555Timer

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello, thanks for your answer. How can this actually be the charging IC/PMIC? I mean the laptop never was shorted, nor power surged. Someday it didn't turn on and we noticed the battery was dead. And then we replaced it, turns on now.

Before, you had to plug it in to turn it on, now you can turn it on like it should. The problem occured randomly. So the battery was shot. Its frome june 2013 so i can accept that.

But a €1000 laptop (without any crazy thing like shorts or liquid) can't die like that. This would be BS as it must be designed in such way the SMC or whatever it uses can't damage from standard charging without power surges ect.

So main problem is that it does NOT charge when plugged in, even tough the computer says it is, so its says its charging, but the battery is just draining like normal. I reinstalled the microsoft power management driver don't know how its called exactly. But some had succes. I don't.

But, does updating or reflashing the BIOS help? This would be my first try. As i really don't wanna replace QFN or BGA/LGA chips on the mobo. Nor do i want to fail a flash.

And its going to be a pretty waste to junk it as this laptop is CRAZY FAST.

Did anyone had succes by reflashing the BIOS?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.