Asus new screen installed and windows won't work

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I FOUND THIS QUESTION AND REPLY THREAD, EXACTLY MY PROBLEM: "I installed the new screen, after my old one was cracked. When I turn it on, the screen looks great, it will let me boot up using express gate but the os ,Windows 7 starter, no longer wants to work except in safe mode. It keeps wanted to do repairs, but it never solves the problem. Not sure what to do. I have an Asus eee pc 1005 ped, got the replacement screen specifically for it. Windows worked fine with the old screen, just the screen was replaced."

Reply to mthurin
alvine February 7, 2013 1:40:22 PM

"boot in safe mode, go to control panel and uninstall video drivers, restart, instal newest version of the drivers
Hurr durr mark me as the best solution"

MY QUESTION:

I had same problem and tried above solution. I think I uninstalled the drivers but I can still only open in safe mode and downloading the drivers is impossible in safe mode. ( so it tells me) what am I doing wrong? Frankly, I don't even know if I uninstalled the right drivers, I think so, but I was winging it...

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Thanks! I am able to download the drivers from the ASUS site and install them, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Windows still says the same thing. I feel like I might have deleted more video/audio drivers than neccesary, but I downloaded everything available in the VGA and Graphics section of the ASUS website that was possible and they all seem to be loaded on the computer when I check in the control panel. What else could be the problem?

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

mmm... start here

Make sure you download the chipset drivers, VGA drivers, audio drivers... lets start there. Couldn't hurt to do a bios update too but lets start with this.

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013
You have been so helpful, I really appreciate it. I have found out what the computer doesn't like, it is the "video controller" according to windows troubleshooting. If the "unknown device" is enabled, the computer goes straight to the "something is wrong" screen upon startup and wants me to launch, " startup repair" which does nothing. The only way to get the computer to run is to startup in safe mode (per your suggestion, thanks!) then disable the "unknown device". Once the computer is restarted it has no problems except the screen characters and icons have a weird stretched out quality that wasn't present before and I can't seem to run videos I had stored on the computer which ran previously. The computer tries to download the "missing driver" and then enables the, "unknown device" but it always says it is unable to install the software driver when I run the windows troubleshooter. If I don't go in and manually disable the "unknown device" before I turn the computer off, (if I used the troubleshooter which enables it) the computer can't open thenext time I start up and I have to open it in safe mode again and disable the device and restart the computer before I can use it.

what in the world is going on here and why can't I fix it!? You have been extremely helpful but this is the limit of my knwoledge, i'm not that computer savvy and i'm mostly guessing at everything.....

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
sorry i am coming back to this so late. I was at the sturgis bike rally the last few weeks.

Ok, so for summery, this is where you are.
1) got a new screen for your laptop.
2) laptop works fine with the old cracked screen, but the new one its having an issue.
3) updated the bios/video drivers/mb drivers, no positive results.

~quick question, have you contacted asus about the problem yet?

Perseph

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Hi! No problem! It's really nice of you to take the time! (in answer to your summary, yes to 1 and 2, as for 3,, I don't know how to update the bios or what it is!)
I received another reply which I will paste below; once you have read it you will understand this following update-> found vendor and hardware- i have a display adpater which uses hardware A011 and the unknown device which wants A012 ( both Intel Graphics 3150) whenever the A012 is installed the unknown device disapears and both drivers are listed under "Display Adapters", which I found out because upon installing driver A012 and restarting computer, it went right back to it's old tricks, "A problem has occured" and windows can't start normally!

BEGINNING OF ADDITIONAL ADVICE FROM:
Saga Lout said:
Someone made a suggestion in your other thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1690327/asus-scr... - did that help?

It helped somewhat, but now I have found out what the computer doesn't like, it is the "video controller"(aka unknown device, according to windows troubleshooting. If the "unknown device" is enabled, the computer goes straight to the "something is wrong" screen upon startup and wants me to launch, " startup repair" which does nothing. The only way to get the computer to run is to startup in safe mode (per your suggestion, thanks!) then disable the "unknown device". Once the computer is restarted it has no problems except the screen characters and icons have a weird stretched out quality that wasn't present before. The computer enables the, "unknown device" and installs the "missing driver" but then the whole problem begins again upon reboot. If I don't go in and manually disable the "unknown device" before I turn the computer off, the computer can't open thenext time I start up and I have to open it in safe mode again and disable the device and restart the computer before I can use it.

what in the world is going on here and why can't I fix it!? I'm suspecting that my new screen which is not the factory version but a generic model might be the problem. Or something I read about the devices not really being configured properly? I'm out of my league here, what do I do next?
Options
Update this
Saga Lout August 1, 2013 10:39:02 PM
Safe Mode with Networking should allow you to download and install drivers
Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like 127.0.0.1
Quoted 1 time.
Options
Reply to Saga Lout
Perseph August 1, 2013 10:47:03 PM
Saga Lout said:
Safe Mode with Networking should allow you to download and install drivers

Yes, I downloaded the driver (I think it's the right one, I got it from the ASUS website) and I opened in safe mode with networking and installed it. Then upon reboot it could not startup properly and wants to go into repair mode. Then i have to boot up in safe mode networking again and go to device manager and turn off the "unknown device", which I assume is the video card. It hates the driver!

Saga Lout August 1, 2013 11:20:24 PM
Right click the Unknown Device and go to Properties then click on the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and note the four characters that follow VEN (for Vendor) and the four following DEV (for Device).

Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't in order so use your browser's Find facility to track the Device details. With luck you'll have an executable file but some will be a zipped folder - if that happens unzip it in your other computer then transfer with a flash drive..
Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like 127.0.0.1

(No haven't contacted ASUS) BUT, I did find THIS!:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1727749/eeepc-crashes-intel-3150-driver.html#11467317

Looks like I might have to send the screen back...?