ASUS or HP to buy ?

souvikray123

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I have seen this thread -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2591120/worst-laptop-brands.html

and that puts asus at a very low position . I have looked at the following models --

ASUS R558UF XO044D

HP AC152TX

Now , among the two ASUS has a 2 cell battery while HP has 4 cell , HP has the AMD R5 M330 GPU while ASUS has Nvidia GT 930M . Now , I am not a heavy gamer . I play fifa , maybe dirt , virtua tennis , and occassionally shooting games ( I will buy a keyboard to play the games and not use the built-in one ) .

The ASUS one probably might have a single RAM slot :-(

Also , I dont have much idea about the durability of ASUS' laptop parts such as the keyboard , screen , mousepad ( or trackpad ) etc .

Keeping these in mind , which would you suggest ?

souvikray123

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Ok , so the ratings about Hp and ASUS are not much of a factor here ?
And what's your say on ASUS trackpad , keyboard or screen . Are they gonna last me say 3 to 4 years ?
Also , are there any significant disadvantages of a 2 cell battery ?

One of my concern is regarding the manufacturers of the wifi and bluetooth hardwares . I cannot seem to find any details regarding the ASUS model .

And one of my friends told me that AMD has quite alot of problems with respect to switchable graphics . Is that true ?

Sandy Killer

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Hello there,
I've been using ASUS K55VM-SX086D laptop since 3 years now and i'm extreme gamer and i play games like almost 5 hours a day, ( CS GO and all big games). Even now my laptop is in perfect new condition.
Never faced any trouble or problem.
My keyboard and touchpad are still like they are new one. Chiklet keyboard is fantastic and its full pressure impact tested so you dont have to worry about the keyboards in ASUS.
And touchpad is still silky smooth and its actually a clickpad. still works perfect withour any problem or glitches.

And I've seen my friends replacing their keyboards atleast within a year or two even if they are not a gamer like me.
So i think you can take the decision now.

John Chapman

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
I've had a number of HP computers. Each looked great initially but wore badly as they aged and looked very scruffy eventually. They also suffered from overheating problems. (Especially so if you have a cat). Dust and fluff gets lodged between the fan outlet and heat exchanger. To remove it requires a complete dismantle of the machine and is not something to be undertaken lightly. Other machines can usually be vaccuumed out. HP machines also had a problem with thrips getting into the screens.
Don't have much experience with Asus apart from years ago when a number of Asus laptops I was responsible for got so hot they melted the keyboards - they didn't shut down when the lid was closed. I'm sure they've fixed that now.