ASUS Planning 3G Tab, MeeGo, Android Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
When i see 2012 it somehow makes me think it's still 2010.

Anyway back on topic, It'll be great if Meego is given another chance as long as it dualboots with another OS, such as Android, Linux (Preferably Ubuntu) or Windows.

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
MeeGo development will still progress just fine, with or without Nokia choosing WP7. Intel knows this and still has the power to pursue MeeGo as the next iteration of its Moblin OS.

It's not even targeted just for mobile phones, but all mobile devices - netbooks and the like. Even Nokia realise this, which is why they have decided to continue development of MeeGo on their N900 phone:
http://myn900.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/meego-on-the-n900-officially-targeted-by-nokia/

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
I like it that Asus will use MeeGo on a netbook.

This is fantastic.

Even if you buy one and change the OS to a different free Linux distro, such as Ubuntu or Chrome OS, it means you don't have to pay the Microsoft tax (which happens when you buy a Windows netbook and erase Windows to replace it with a more efficient Linux-based OS)

G

Nvidia Tegra 3 coming in November is quad core. dual core will be history in a matter of months.
it would be interesting to see if intel release an atom based processor capable of doing quad core with a good GPU on board the devices. how long will an atom processor be enough when a mobile/tablet device will have more power then it?and thus replace the need for a netbook when a tablet will be able to do it.tablets CAN run windows and have done so for years. time intel play catch up.all for competition in this industry. love seeing apple struggle with their overpriced fashion statement devices.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Bah, an atom based android netbook is not what most customers want!
If they would, they would be able to download android and install it over their windows!

No, what people want is an ARM based windows netbook (that can run previous windows games successfully).
I think a whole market would open if those old CD-ROM games can be played on a mobile device, without performance loss!

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Asus should consider AMD platform at least for Windows tablets and netbooks and dump Intel's Atom and they should improve on connectivity and expandable storage.I'm also curious how fares a MeeGo netbook.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Windows Phone 7 is simply a fantastic ground work for an OS. Its much easier then iOS and Android to develop for. Its minimum specs are also very robust giving alot of power to developers.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]Asus should consider AMD platform at least for Windows tablets and netbooks and dump Intel's Atom and they should improve on connectivity and expandable storage.I'm also curious how fares a MeeGo netbook.[/citation]

I would say that bloated Window will make tablets useless just like netbooks are - slow as hell. Also Asus is about to release tablets with add-on and slide-out keyboards.

Tablets have a different purpose than a notebook.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
BTW I don't expect quad core tablets before the end of the year. I doubt TSMC to be able to release large amounts of 28nm products before 2012.

BTW Don't you think that the quat-core iPad 3 will destroy the world in 2012?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I want my Asus MeMO!! TBH MeeGo looks really good. Theres a video demo floating around somewhere. Doesn't seem as intuitive as some mobile OS's but I reckon once you get use to it, it does seem great for accessing and seeing everything without going through and multiple menus, apps and widgets!

Status
Not open for further replies.