ASUS Possibly Dumping Windows CE for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Whatever they do, they better not get stuck in an embedded nightmare waiting for the ability to put the latest incarnations of FLASH and JAVA into the o/s like Archos and other android platform hardware in a hardware logjam that rivals all usa airplane traffic needing to land after the 9/11 attacks. I've been in the market for a portable internet media tablet that has the FULL FEATURES of a umpc, but none of the lack of software support of android and that seems to always be one or two steps away from truly happening.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
If I want Windows on a Pad It's going to be Windows 7 (hopefully optimized for the Pad) and not some attempt at a mimicked version of Windows that I can't use actual Windows applications on.

If I get a Pad with a mobile OS it's going to be either Android or hopefully WebOS.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]If I want Windows on a Pad It's going to be Windows 7 (hopefully optimized for the Pad) and not some attempt at a mimicked version of Windows that I can't use actual Windows applications on.If I get a Pad with a mobile OS it's going to be either Android or hopefully WebOS.[/citation]

Stop calling it a Pad.

G

Microsoft does not have anything good in terms of an OS for tablet. Windows 7 was specifically developed for a desktop/laptop, so are a vast majority of it's applications. Windows CE based OSes just suck for pretty much everything.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I know Windows CE is.. less than great, but why not just offer one with Windows CE and one with Android? Give the consumer the choice (and hopefully not confuse them in the process.) If they love Windows to pieces, then they have the option to use Windows. If they love Android to pieces, they have the option to use Android.

Isn't that simple enough?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]I know Windows CE is.. less than great, but why not just offer one with Windows CE and one with Android? Give the consumer the choice (and hopefully not confuse them in the process.) If they love Windows to pieces, then they have the option to use Windows. If they love Android to pieces, they have the option to use Android.Isn't that simple enough?[/citation]
I really don't know if there's any consumer application base for Windows CE. CE tends to be for dedicated, embedded sytems running particular, often custom, software for a specific task. Think your GPS unit or scientific equipment.

Microsoft has already shown an inability to get developers to jump onto its bandwagon (Games for Windows Live anyone?).

Rather than use Win CE and HOPE developers jump on board, Asus might as well use Android, which already has a vast repository of applications. Sure, they could make a Win CE version too, but then they'd have to pay the Windows tax and hope people didn't return them when they find out there's no app store.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
To ^^^ - you are absolutely right... but don't forget about 2 things:
1. more choice = more expensive support
2. everyone tries to be like apple - and tell you what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.