Asus Q503UA Constantly Freezing (2 in 1)

CallMeJef

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
Last Friday, 9/23/16, I purchased a certified Open Box Asus Q503UA from BestBuy.

I got it home and began messing around on it. The tablet aspect was neat, so I installed blue stack to play some clash of clans. Clash of clans would work for a few minutes then my computer would freeze. I would wait to see if it would start again, if not hard boot it.

This went on for a few days of my laptop constantly freezing before I said to myself enough is enough. I uninstalled bluestacks completely. I started up my computer, and it seemed to be working fine. After about an hour of browsing around on the internet, everything just froze up. I waited, and nothing was moving, so I did a hard boot.

Long story short, I have had this laptop less than a week(open box, last years model I believe) and it is constantly freezing. It often freezes so bad that even restarting the computer doesn't do much to shake it. It's driving me insane! I can't for the life of me figure out why something with a 6th gen i5 processor and 8 gigs of ram freezes up on the simplest of tasks. Everything from internet surfing to writing a paper in word.

SPECS:

Asus Q503UA 2-in-1 laptop
Windows 10 64bit
Processor: i5 6200u @ 2.3 GHZ
Ram: 8 gig

I don't even know where I would start trying to fix this. What other information is required in order to start diagnosing?

**UPDATE**
I decided to keep task manager open. I tried surfing the web and each page I visited opening it up to see what's happening. The computer is freezing when the Disk% shoots up to 99. As I write this, the disk% is at 1%. When I open a new webpage, the disk% hops up to about 15% and then drops back down. I noticed that streaming on twitch keeps it at about 20%.

My question is why would it randomly skyrocket to 99? This happens not only when I'm surfing the web, but in games/ apps/
programs alike.
https://postimg.org/image/45zm1lx0f/
https://postimg.org/image/71cp8h10f

]

Solution
my disktop did this with a crucial m4 as the boot disk. crucial suggested that garbage collection was the issue and it needed time to sort itself out. Anyway i left it powered but without a sata cable for a day or so, it still does it, might need a firmware upgrade as the next option

I'd suggest that the SSD on that has been trashed. If it is that new, take it back, or start the process of taking it back now, and then carry on looking for solutions.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
my disktop did this with a crucial m4 as the boot disk. crucial suggested that garbage collection was the issue and it needed time to sort itself out. Anyway i left it powered but without a sata cable for a day or so, it still does it, might need a firmware upgrade as the next option

I'd suggest that the SSD on that has been trashed. If it is that new, take it back, or start the process of taking it back now, and then carry on looking for solutions.

Solution