Asus R510JX-DM230T vs Asus A550JX-XX142D

Avik Garain

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
I plan on buying a performance gaming laptop under 65k INR(Indian rupees). I am stuck between the above mentioned laptops. Their specs are almost same(please check it for me) but there is a significant price difference. I want to know on what factors the price is different. Please help. All comments will be appreciated :)

Solution
Should be the exact same GTX 950M as far as I can see. I personally don't think that 4GB will be useful because the card is a entry level for gaming and you probably won't be turning up settings too often so the extra 2GB's will probably be useless. There are some games out there that require 4GB VRAM though but you can probably get by.

You can install Windows into DOS system but remember you have to pay for a windows license so add that to the cost of the laptop.

I highly suggest you get 8GBs of RAM just to future proof yourself. A lot of intensive games nowadays tend to use upwards of 2GBs and if you have 4GBs of RAM, that's already half gone.

Anthem03

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
One laptop is 1080p and the other is 768p. I assume the R10JX-DM230T is the more expensive one because its got a better display. However you will get higher gaming performance on the 768p laptop (because its a smaller resolution and has lesser quality). Higher the resolution, more quality you will get.

Depends on what your budget is and how significant the price difference is. All the other components are the same though. Also note that you can often change the display of the laptop at later points if you decide you want 1080p instead if you go for the 768p one.

Avik Garain

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Anthem03 much thanks for the reply. Did you verified the specs from a online site? Thank you for doing so. Further, I saw that it has 4GB less inbuilt RAM so that's another reason for price difference ( but only about 2.5k difference in INR). Further the cheaper one surprisingly has 4GB graphics memory while the costlier one has 2GB graphics memory. Do you think the extra 2GB memory will make much of a difference given its basic DDR3 and the card is GTX 950M? Further can you tell me if the GTX 950m on both of them are of same version/quality apart from memory which I obviously mentioned just now. And can I install windows in any laptop if it comes bundled with DOS operating system? The cheaper one has DOS preinstalled, thats why. Thanks again for your speedy reply:)

Anthem03

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
Should be the exact same GTX 950M as far as I can see. I personally don't think that 4GB will be useful because the card is a entry level for gaming and you probably won't be turning up settings too often so the extra 2GB's will probably be useless. There are some games out there that require 4GB VRAM though but you can probably get by.

You can install Windows into DOS system but remember you have to pay for a windows license so add that to the cost of the laptop.

I highly suggest you get 8GBs of RAM just to future proof yourself. A lot of intensive games nowadays tend to use upwards of 2GBs and if you have 4GBs of RAM, that's already half gone.

Solution