Asus ROG G751JT vs MSI GT72 Dominator

Skyebee

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
Hi folks,

I'm planning on purchasing my first dedicated gaming laptop and would love some input from people a little more experienced in this area than I. A laptop is more suitable to my living situation which is why I'm not looking at a desktop. The sort of games I play, if that makes making a recommendation easier, are The Witcher (1 and 2, currently waiting for 3) Batman Arkham Series, Battlefield, Theif, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim etc

It is also probably worth mentioning that I'm in Australia and the prices quoted are in $A and for the uninitiated, we are charged a premium for everything!

The 2 laptop's I have narrowed it down to are as follows:

MSI GT72 Dominator - $2599

i7 4710HQ
17.3" LED Anti-Glare FHD Display
Nvidia GTX 970M 6GB
12GB Ram
128GB M.2 SSD + 1 TB HDD
2 Yr Warranty
Full Specs Here

or

Asus ROG G751JT- $2498 (quote from store, not from webpage)

i7 4710HQ
17.3" LED Backlit FHD IPS Display
Nvidia GTX970M 3GB
16GB Ram
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
1 Yr Warranty
Full Specs Here

As much as I would love to go with a GTX980M I just can't justify the additional $1000 all laptops with that card seem to increase by.

Based on the information and little bit of knowledge I have, I am leaning more towards the Asus due to the better screen and larger SSD. I also prefer its casing and design, but that isn't really a huge influence on my final decision. My main area of concern with the Asus is that I have had Asus notebooks in the past and their customer support has always seemed to be lacking at best. I don't know anything about MSI or their products as I have never had any exposure to them but the dedicated 6GB graphics seems appealing.

I would love to hear your suggestions or recommendations. Thanks :)

Skyebee

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015

Thank you for the suggestion! I did look at Gigabyte but discounted it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I would prefer a 17.3" inch screen and the laptop you have posted is only 15". Secondly the only 17.3" Gigabyte laptop with a GTX 980 that I could find from a store here in Australia was well over $3000 which is more than my budget can really stretch to and I generally avoid purchasing technology from overseas as we are subjected to customs duties and sales tax for any purchase of more than $1000. Also, overseas purchases can create issues if there is a warranty problem depending on the type of warranty offered. I have also read multiple reviews that have all agreed the Gigabyte P37X laptop suffers from very noisy fans, which doesn't appear to be an issue with the current Asus Rog models.

Thank you though :)

It depends on the settings on the games you play. If you are playing the games at high or ultra then definitely the msi as the vram will make the difference. If you are only going to play the games at med or lower which I assume you are not then go for the asus.