ASUS ROG GL553vd integrated keyboard not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
To be more specific, my laptop's model is Fx53vd- MS72, very similar to GL553vd spec wise, but my model has a red backlit keyboard as opposed to the RGB keyboard on the GL553vd.

What happened before the keyboard stopped working:

Was watching a movie on my laptop connected to the TV thru HDMI. After movie finished, I shut down the laptop like how I normally do by clicking on shut down from the windows button on bottom left. After 20-30 minutes, went to power on the laptop again, red backlit working but none of the keys were functioning or typing (except for the power on/off key). What confuses me is that the laptop was working perfectly before this happened and nothing was done on the laptop before this happened.

Solutions that worked temporarily:

- Opened back cover and unplugged battery. Then held power on key for 30 secs to drain out all the power. Power on the laptop and the keyboard worked temporarily before it was shutdown again. I continuously did this for two days to get the keyboard working, but after those two days, the keyboard doesn't function at all no matter what I tried.

Other solutions I've tried to resolve the issue:

- Uninstalled keyboard driver in device manager and restarted laptop

- Resetted Laptop to factory

- Opened back cover and unplugged everything, including the two keyboard ribbon cables connected to the motherboard.

- Replaced the factory keyboard with a new keyboard

Now:

- No keyboard driver even shows up in device manager anymore (except for the external keyboard)

- The newly replaced keyboard still doesn't function or type at all, like it's just dead...The only thing that works is the power on/off key which functions normally and also is backlitted.

I'm still so frustrated that I can't solve this issue because I've tried everything I could. It could not have been a software issue because I factory reset my laptop and by then Windows should've been able to reinstall the basic keyboard drivers itself. It also could not have been a hardware issue because I bought a new keyboard and plugged everything correctly. Everything else is working normally except for the keyboard alone.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does your keyboard do any sound while typing? Unlocking the keyboard might help then, by pressing the right shift key for about ten seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Ka9m_yx7Q

Probably the motherboard or keyboard port of the laptop has a problem.

Are you sure you plugged in and mounted the flex cable correctly?

Is the new keyboard the same model or does it differ from the original?

Do you use windows 10?

Did you reset the BIOS? Does the keyboard work in BIOS?

Update the BIOS within BIOS itself using EZ-flash
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-FX553VD/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Did you install the ATKPackage driver?

Aug 26, 2018

The keyboard does not make any sound, other than the physical sound of the keys typing.

I was thinking it might be the motherboard or the specific keyboard port slot too, but then I'm just confused on how. I've never touched the motherboard or anything hardware related before this happened.

I'm pretty sure I plugged in the keyboard ribbon cable correctly because everything else works except for the keyboard.

The new keyboard is a different model with RGB lighting designed for the ROG GL553vd. This shouldn't matter tho because it fits perfectly and the power on/off button still maintains the red back lit and still functions. Even if the RGB isn't supported, the keyboard should still work, no?

I use windows 10 and have already updated the BIOS to latest v307. The keyboard doesn't work in BIOS or anywhere.

ATKPackage driver is also updated to latest and keyboard still doesn't work.

Load the default settings in BIOS and try again.

If it doesn´t work in BIOS, it´s a defect. Either the motherboard itself or the keyboard is not compatible or defective as well.

Someone over the net wrote, that the laptop has something like a passive cooler near the cable of the keyboard. This could jam the connection. Have a look if the cable is too close or next to the heated up component and use thermal tape to isolate the cable or fold the flex cable so it wouldn´t contact it , if necessary.

Aug 26, 2018
I've not changed anything in the BIOS, so I dont think the BIOS caused the problem. I'm thinking it might be defect as well, but why now after a year and after just a simple shut down^^.

The keyboard cables have a sticky part that sticks to the bottom of the surface, not touching any other components or touching the motherboard, other than the folded end that curves up and is inserted into the slot.

Thanks for your suggestions tho. I sent my laptop to microcenter for diagnostic check, hopefully they know what they're doing and is able to identify the problem.

Hopefully you swapped to the standard keyboard again before sending it to microcenter?

The BIOS could be corrupted without your doing as well.
Please load the BIOS default settings nontheless and eventually set the boot order back to you needs after it.

But if microcenter can sort it out, please ask them kindly how they fixed it. I´m very interested in this solution

Aug 26, 2018
Yeah IF they can fix it or identify the problem, I'll be sure to ask them.

I kept the new keyboard on the laptop, but also brought the old keyboard and told the lady at the service desk about it. I also wrote it down on the "Problem description" section in the paper I had to fill out. The lady didn't mention anything about me putting on the new keyboard, so hopefully it'll be fine.

Aug 26, 2018
So Microcenter responded back saying the motherboard is at fault and the price to replace the motherboard is $780 + taxes, as much as the price I bought the laptop for ^^.

I guess, I'm stuck using an external keyboard for this laptop and just getting a cheap lightweight laptop to bring to school then.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.