Solved! Asus Rog Strix gl503ge stuck at BIOS upgrade. HELP PLEASE

Apr 27, 2019
i just bought a new Asus Rog Strix gl503ge, after using if for two days it did normal window upgrade restart, and stuck at ASUS EZ flash 3 utility, with a warning of " BIOS upgrade is processing. Don't turn off your computer" ..PLEASE HELP ME

Solution
As I said, anything through EZ Flash wouldn't be an update. Something is off. I would have it looked at or take it back to where you purchased it and have them give you a different one. Things like that can't just be installed on their own. There had to have been something put on the device to cause this. Either by you or someone else. Systems don't automatically update BIOS using anything like EZ Flash.
Apr 27, 2019
So
That is not standard for updates. You have to choose to allow it, meaning you are choosing to 'flash' your BIOS. This is not a normal update or upgrade in any way.

While this thread is a tad older, you can find more info on EZ Flash here... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-ez-flash-2.418094/

So i just forced shutdown the laptop and start it again. Its boot up. is but on reboot its going back to ez flash menu. Is there anyway to stop installing this upgrade ?

As I said, anything through EZ Flash wouldn't be an update. Something is off. I would have it looked at or take it back to where you purchased it and have them give you a different one. Things like that can't just be installed on their own. There had to have been something put on the device to cause this. Either by you or someone else. Systems don't automatically update BIOS using anything like EZ Flash.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 20, 2019
gl502vs-db71 here and ran into the same issue. Wasn't doing anything crazy and keep that lean for gaming. I did have the Asus update software installed on my machine. Currently just sits at the "Republic of Gamers" post screen, but doesn't allow me to access anything. I've tried pulling the battery and CMOS battery followed by powering it on at various states to drain juice, or clear the CMOS. Seems nothing is working at this point. Very strange how we are all saying something about this in the most recent months. I'll report back once I figure it out, but very odd.

Jun 20, 2019
gl502vs-db71 here and ran into the same issue. Wasn't doing anything crazy and keep that lean for gaming. I did have the Asus update software installed on my machine. Currently just sits at the "Republic of Gamers" post screen, but doesn't allow me to access anything. I've tried pulling the battery and CMOS battery followed by powering it on at various states to drain juice, or clear the CMOS. Seems nothing is working at this point. Very strange how we are all saying something about this in the most recent months. I'll report back once I figure it out, but very odd.
Follow up:

It seems with the latest BIOS there is an issue having a secondary SSD installed. If this is the case for you, disconnect the second drive and head on over to the Asus forum to get the lowdown on rolling back: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...zsDecVtBQO3sb-MPA2g2JamGaohtM5vZIsQmqNzC6gZdA

Fix:
  1. Remove second SSD
  2. Download WinFlash and the older BIOS from the Asus support site for your laptop
  3. Open CMD as admin, run the app from the PFx86/Asus/Winflash/ || Type Winflash.exe /nodate
  4. Choose the older BIOS
  5. Uninstall Asus update utility - This is important so you don't continue receiving this update

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019
Follow up:

It seems with the latest BIOS there is an issue having a secondary SSD installed. If this is the case for you, disconnect the second drive and head on over to the Asus forum to get the lowdown on rolling back: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...zsDecVtBQO3sb-MPA2g2JamGaohtM5vZIsQmqNzC6gZdA

Fix:
  1. Remove second SSD
  2. Download WinFlash and the older BIOS from the Asus support site for your laptop
  3. Open CMD as admin, run the app from the PFx86/Asus/Winflash/ || Type Winflash.exe /nodate
  4. Choose the older BIOS
  5. Uninstall Asus update utility - This is important so you don't continue receiving this update

Wow thanks for this. I only recently received the update to 1903 and spent days and days over the course of the passed two weeks installing, rolling back and taking my SATA SSD in and out, being bombarded with upgrade notifications from Windows until I stumbled on this. Its really weird that ASUS Live Updater was pushing the BIOS update automatically. If anyone else has this problem Ill detail my experience.

I have a GL502VS with and NVME as the boot drive and a Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD as the secondary. When I tried to update to Windows 1903 it would also automatic's ally update to BIOS 306 from 302. This was causing my computer to get stuck at the ROG logo screen unless I removed the EVO drive. Long story short once I had my computer rolled back to the previous version of Windows at BIOS 302 I uninstalled ASUS Live updater and also the EVO drive then installed Windows 1903 on my boot drive. After that I put the EVO back in and everything is working. I will remain at BIOS 302 until ASUS provides an update. Some people have said that removing your SATA SSD drive, flashing to 306 and then putting the SATA SSD back in will work. I have not tried this and Im kinda sick of opening and closing my computer so I might just leave it. BIOS 302 doesn't seem to have any issues.