Solved! ASUS TUF FX205 bizarre fan issues

Jul 15, 2019
So a few weeks ago I got a brand-new Asus TUF FX205GM laptop, to use as my main PC for gaming + video production work. It all went smoothly for the first couple of weeks, but recently the fan has started ramping up for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

The CPU temperature is around 45-50 degrees celcius, and it happens even when it's under 5% utilization.

I've updated the BIOS and that didn't solve it, and there are no more specific fan controls since AI Suite refuses to install. ROG Gaming Center (which I had to install separately) doesn't do much, either. And the Fn + F5 fan control shortcut is very hit-or-miss.

Changing the Power Plan to default to Balanced worked for a while and I thought it fixed it, but it's now back.

What's even odder, though, is the readouts. SpeedFan says the CPU is running at 0 RPM, and won't list any other fans, and I have no idea what's going on here:

QqGvbV6.png

For some context, the fan was completely silent when I was on the BIOS screen, despite giving me this readout. It actually went up to 4000 RPM at one point.

I'm guessing the whole thing is buggy and I've contacted ASUS for support, but I can already tell it's going to be a nightmare. I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they've faced similar problems in the past, though!

Here's the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed Memory: 16GB
System Type: 64-bit Windows 10
Nvidia GPU 1060

Reactions: Tranas
Solution
Well first, in regard to Speed Fan, it doesn't work on all laptops. You might want to try a different program.

Two, that is so not a high temp at all. If you say doubled that number and it was while doing nothing, then I would worry. Also, at that temp, there would be no reason for the fan to turn on in most devices. It would have to be a higher temp for it to turn on.
Well first, in regard to Speed Fan, it doesn't work on all laptops. You might want to try a different program.

Two, that is so not a high temp at all. If you say doubled that number and it was while doing nothing, then I would worry. Also, at that temp, there would be no reason for the fan to turn on in most devices. It would have to be a higher temp for it to turn on.

Solution
I have an Asus tuf laptop, not your exact model, but they all seem to have loud fans. The system I have has three built in fan speeds right from the keyboard controls, the lowest is pretty silent but seems to keep speeds down, the other two are loud, enough so that if I don't use a headphone with good sound isolation it really bothers me sitting next to it. I have dealt with other models at work with loud fans, some got fixed with a BIOS update and an Intel update to the chipset thermal controls, some never got fixed. In fact, I have 4 laptops I worked on, all same models. In two of them I managed to get the fan to decent operating noise, in two others I could not, it ran at full almost from the time you turned it on.