Solved! ASUS UL80Vt-A1

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi Folks,

My kid brother is heading off to university and I need to get him a laptop that strikes a balance between performance and battery life. He'll want to do some gaming and has no problem doing it on medium to low settings. Most important is the battery life. He has classes that will last 4 hours so the battery life needs to be tops.

I was looking at this fella from ASUS:

http://www.amazon.com/UL80Vt-A1-14-Inch-Light-Laptop-Battery/dp/B002Q8HK7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282928885&sr=8-1

You guys know of anything better?

Cheers!

Solution

Yeah that laptop is pretty amazing in terms of battery life. Only potential problem is the UCLV processor, which may be a tad weak, depending on what he's going to do with it... but...

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Yeah that laptop is pretty amazing in terms of battery life. Only potential problem is the UCLV processor, which may be a tad weak, depending on what he's going to do with it... but if he uses nothing more than Onenote for notes, then it's not really noticeable. Also, what games does he intend to play with it?

Solution

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
He's going into engineering, but I figure the CUDA vid card will pick up any slack the processor has, am I correct in this? In terms of gaming his needs are pretty light. Call of Duty, Lineage II that sort of thing. He can live with low to medium settings.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Hmm... CAD software generally benefits from a more powerful graphics card, and the CULV proc probably isn't helping either... but as long as he'll also have access to the computer labs, it'll be fine. The UL80VT should be able to handle a bit of CAD work while he's elsewhere.