ASUS UX305UA with i5 6200U vs. i7 6500U

DarkTron

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Hey guys!

I am going to buy myself a new laptop for school. What I want this laptop to have:
- SSD (min. 128GB)
- RAM (min. 8GB)
- Screen (13 inch Full HD)
- Battery (Very, very good battery life. I do not plan on taking my power brick with me to school every day)

I will use this laptop for:
- Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Browsing (Mozilla Firefox)
- Programming (Java - Eclipse/IntelliJ)
- Other school related stuff (LabView, Multisim, Eagle [PCB Design])

Gaming would be nice but I figured most laptops with dedicated NVIDIA GPUs instantly have less battery life. Therefore I either want a laptop with a better integrated GPU (like Intel HD 540 or 550) or I just won't game on it.

Now my question is, as the title already suggests:
Will it be beneficial for me to buy the i7 6500U over the i5 6200U? The price difference is 150€:
- i5: 950€
- i7: 1100€
I guess although both CPUs have a 15W TDP the i7 will drain my battery faster. The i7 model apperantly has 9:30h battery life so the i5 model should probably have around 10h which would be perfect.

Thank you for your answeres, lets open the discussion!

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The i5 scored 3937 on passmark.com and the i7 scored 4326.
Is 10% better performance worth 150€ is the question you have to ask yourself.
I would save the money and get the i5. Slightly better battery life would be a bonus.

DarkTron

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015

And what do you think about the overall performance of both of them? Will it be enough for what I do?

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Based on the requirements for Office, LabView, Multisim, Eagle [PCB Design] you should have no issues running these.
Although I can't find specifics on programming Java, I can't imagine it is more than it is for running Java. So I think you will be fine, especially since you will have an SSD.

DarkTron

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015

Thanks, I'll see which one I'll get.