Question Buying advice - New Asus ProArt Intel vs. AMD?

Dec 5, 2021
Hi,

I am coming from a 6 year old ASUS Vivobook Pro N552VW and want/need to upgrade to a new laptop which hopefully will last another 5 years+.
Main reason to upgrade is photography (image editing in Adobe Photoshop) as well as drone video editing up to at least 4K. This would probably cover 20% of my usage, another 70% for standard browsing, streaming and video playback and at most 10% gaming. Battery life is secondary as no mobile use is planned, but the device will hopefully be reasonably silent in normal mode as it is generally used from morning to night.

I have actually already decided for a product but am reaching out to the community for help regarding the model configuration. The new Asus ProArt StudioBook (Pro) 16'' OLED comes in different configurations (details see following link) and I do not know which one would be the best pick for my usage scenario:
https://www.asus.com/us/product-compare?ProductID=16766,16765,16768,16767&LevelId=Laptops-For-Home

It seems to all come down to Intel vs. AMD. I am quite convinced that I do not need an Intel Xeon as I do not want a workstation (and also dread the noise level), which leaves the choice to:
  1. AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX Processor 3.3GHz + AMD Radeon™ Vega 7 Graphics, NVIDIA® RTX™ A2000
  2. AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900HX Processor 3.3GHz + AMD Radeon™ Vega 7 Graphics, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3060 (apparently specs are incomplete and it can also be ordered with RTX3070)
  3. Intel® Core™ i7-11800H Processor 2.4 GHz + Intel® UHD Graphics, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3060

I am favoring 1), but have no previous AMD experience. Are these comparable in performance for Photoshop/Video Editing? Apparently AMD has compatibility issues with some platforms but I wonder if these are just corner cases/very special applications? Also, how does the RTX A2000 fare against an RTX3070?

Cheers

Dec 5, 2021
Is there any indication the Intel 12th gen will be that much better than e.g. the jump from 10th --> 11th? I could indeed wait a few more months, just wondering if it makes any sense if the additional performance is something I'd hardly notice for my usage scenarios.

Dec 5, 2021
Hi Anne. I was about to go with the Ryzen 5900HX + RTX3070 combo. However, it is still not available where I live and meanwhile I read a lot about the next AMD/Intel generation chips. Apparently there will be a significant boost between last and this year's generation, and since I am not in a total hurry I decided to wait it out.
Ideally, Asus will also offer its ProArt series with the 2022 processors once they are out.