Solved! Asus UX533 Camera issue

Dec 12, 2019
Hoping someone has an idea or would be willing to help.

I purchased a ZenBook 15 UX533FHD a few months ago and it has been phenomenal....up until a few days ago.

The built-in camera has stopped working entirely and does not even show up in Device Manager.

Whey I mean by this is windows doesn't show the device (or I'm looking in the wrong place) -- and as a result is unable to access it through the camera tool or web browser (Zoom, etc..).

I contacted McAfee tech support thinking it could be related to new anti-virus software blocking access to the webcam (LiveSafe 2019) -- but they determined it was not.

Next I contacted Asus support who indicated the only solution is a system restore since they do not provide driver support for the webcam, those are provided through Microsoft. I call BS on this...there has to be a better way. I also asked if I did a system restore, what would prevent an update from causing the same thing to happen again -- support indicated that it very likely could, unless I turn off all windows updates.

I'm hoping someone has a better idea than I have had -- I saw a post here - http://driverdatas.com/index/asus-ux533fd-dh74.html -- but didn't work

Very much appreciative for any help

Solution
If it doesn't show up in device manager then it likely isn't a driver issue but a hardware one. Get back with the manufacturer about a repair or replacement. If it is that new it should be under warranty.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I had a zenbook ux52vs which had the same problem, for me it was just disconnecting reconnecting the display cable plug on motherboard,

not showing in device manager means its just not there, so there is a problem, whether a loose/broken cable can be on one of the two ends, or the webcam module itself is defect,