Question Asus Vivobook X512FJ overheating and doesn't speed up fan after cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2022
I give my device to service centre, but after its cleaning, laptop starts overheating and doesn't speed up fans. I try to setup different programms like SpeedFan, but it can't control fan speed, search special settings in bios, search boarview of my motherboard, but without progress. I think, it may be fan pin or multicontroller in fan line or bios problem or thermal paste is weaker then previos one. Also, in my opinion, if I update BIOS, I will find fan speed controller, because now I have old version. In addition, when I do checking up my laptop by MyAsus programm, it say about fan error.

mrmike16

Honorable
What did you give the laptop to the service center for? What did they do to solve the issue?
Do you see the fan in the BIOS at all? It might have been disconnected from the motherboard. I do not suggest loading up Windows and only looking in the BIOS. And even so, not to let the laptop stay turned on for too long. Overheating can be very damaging.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I give my device to service centre, but after its cleaning, laptop starts overheating and doesn't speed up fans. I try to setup different programms like SpeedFan, but it can't control fan speed, search special settings in bios, search boarview of my motherboard, but without progress. I think, it may be fan pin or multicontroller in fan line or bios problem or thermal paste is weaker then previos one. Also, in my opinion, if I update BIOS, I will find fan speed controller, because now I have old version. In addition, when I do checking up my laptop by MyAsus programm, it say about fan error.

What model laptop?

Go into Windows Power Plan settings and change power plan to High Performance. If fans still don't speed up, then the fan is not connected properly.

Jun 5, 2022
What did you give the laptop to the service center for? What did they do to solve the issue?
Do you see the fan in the BIOS at all? It might have been disconnected from the motherboard. I do not suggest loading up Windows and only looking in the BIOS. And even so, not to let the laptop stay turned on for too long. Overheating can be very damaging.
I give laptop for cleaning. I know how overheating is bad. But, if BIOS is disconnected, can laptop work? Because laptop works correctly, only videocart starts to disconnect when open some games, and I can open BIOS and change some settings. I don't know, if I can install more modern BIOS version, because, in my opinion, in new BIOS versions I can change fan speed

mrmike16

Honorable
I give laptop for cleaning. I know how overheating is bad. But, if BIOS is disconnected, can laptop work? Because laptop works correctly, only videocart starts to disconnect when open some games, and I can open BIOS and change some settings. I don't know, if I can install more modern BIOS version, because, in my opinion, in new BIOS versions I can change fan speed
You aren't disconnecting the BIOS (which is found in the motherboard and would therefore be very hard to do). Resetting it is a possibility, but in this case not needed in my opinion. You don't need to change the speed of the fan, all you need to look for in your BIOS is if there is a fan at all.
The store that cleaned your laptop should fix this for free.

@Etrius vanRandr The laptop model is Asus Vivobook X512FJ, as stated in the title of the post (I know, it's easier to miss if it isn't in the actual post).

Jun 5, 2022
You aren't disconnecting the BIOS (which is found in the motherboard and would therefore be very hard to do). Resetting it is a possibility, but in this case not needed in my opinion. You don't need to change the speed of the fan, all you need to look for in your BIOS is if there is a fan at all.
The store that cleaned your laptop should fix this for free.

@Etrius vanRandr The laptop model is Asus Vivobook X512FJ, as stated in the title of the post (I know, it's easier to miss if it isn't in the actual post).
I try, but nothing. I do some photos with my BIOS menu. Check link: https://maksgmaksyt.picflow.com/ULFUlzzBQAkI7KzR/review/GT7AU2I2L3
And in addition, I think that overheating is caused by low fan speed because I hear, that fan work, but it doesn't speed up. Before cleaning, I hear how fan speed up when I play games or work in heavy programs, but now I don't hear it, laptop overheat and I'm writting this.

mrmike16

Honorable
I try, but nothing. I do some photos with my BIOS menu. Check link: https://maksgmaksyt.picflow.com/ULFUlzzBQAkI7KzR/review/GT7AU2I2L3
And in addition, I think that overheating is caused by low fan speed because I hear, that fan work, but it doesn't speed up. Before cleaning, I hear how fan speed up when I play games or work in heavy programs, but now I don't hear it, laptop overheat and I'm writting this.
OK, that is an old BIOS. Haven't seen that in a long time. You're right, there is no option there to see the fans as far as I can tell.
If you hear the fan working, that's a sign that it is connected, but is either not connected correctly or it is stuck. This does seem like a physical issue. But if you want to be sure, there are programs around for Windows that you can use to manually control the speed of your fan. The only one I have ever heard of it Speedfan, but I am sure there are many others. I have not tried it myself.

Jun 5, 2022
OK, that is an old BIOS. Haven't seen that in a long time. You're right, there is no option there to see the fans as far as I can tell.
If you hear the fan working, that's a sign that it is connected, but is either not connected correctly or it is stuck. This does seem like a physical issue. But if you want to be sure, there are programs around for Windows that you can use to manually control the speed of your fan. The only one I have ever heard of it Speedfan, but I am sure there are many others. I have not tried it myself.
I hear about Speedfan too, and try it, but without results. I thy 2 another programs, but it doesn’t work too. I think I should disconnect fan and reconnect again. And how I should to update bios? Because I don’t do it before and don’t want to do something wrongly.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I hear about Speedfan too, and try it, but without results. I thy 2 another programs, but it doesn’t work too. I think I should disconnect fan and reconnect again. And how I should to update bios? Because I don’t do it before and don’t want to do something wrongly.

Speedfan don't work on new laptops, only old ones

try NotebookFanControl

https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc

Reactions: mrmike16
Jun 5, 2022
Guys, you can't beliave me. I watch into laptop and see that fan pin was disconected -_- Connect it and test in MyAsus: fan works. But I don't understand: if fan was disconected, how it worked? I hear that it blew but so quietly

Reactions: tommyjimmylife

mrmike16

Honorable
Guys, you can't beliave me. I watch into laptop and see that fan pin was disconected -_- Connect it and test in MyAsus: fan works. But I don't understand: if fan was disconected, how it worked? I hear that it blew but so quietly
As we both mentioned, it was either disconnected or connected incorrectly. It was getting some power from the pins it was connected to so it was working at a low level.
Happy to see it was resolved.

Reactions: tommyjimmylife
Status
Not open for further replies.