Asus vs Msi help please

JimboBruv

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
Hi, I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop to play games such as Dayz. Just looking for some advice on what to choose. (Australia btw)
My first option is the Msi Gs70 Stealth Pro 17" which is in good condition that a close friend has owned for a year and is selling for $2000 AUD.
Here are its specs: Intel Core i7-4720HQ processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970m / 3gb gddr5 graphics
1TB 7200rpm memory and 384GB SSD
16gb ram

And the Asus ROG 15.6" for around $1700 AUD - http://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-rog-g551vw-fw184t-156-core-i7-gtx-960m-4gb-gaming-laptop
Here are its specs: Intel Core i7-6700HQ - 8gb ram, 128gb SSD - 1TB HDD - GTX 960m 4gb dedicated graphics.

The only thing I'm worried about with
the MSI is that I've heard that it gets extremely hot when gaming heavy, can this affect the lifespan of the laptop significantly? If so should I be choosing the Asus? And also whether the MSI is worth the extra $300 for the upgraded graphics to play games like Dayz. Will these upgraded graphics help extend the lifespan of the laptop opposed to the Asus? Keep in mind I am hoping to keep this laptop for the longest possible time, maybe 5 years.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Solution

Do you have a reference on this - that Asus has a shorter lifespan? Never seen anything like that, how about Lenovo or HP laptops? or is this an opinion?

planeace222

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
both laptops are phenomenal. I woild be skeptical about the MSI, not to offend your friend, because since it has been used, the components have already been worn. it is also more expensive to he Asus, and has oan older processor, but the graphics is better. a gtx 960m should play dayz very well, and gives you an extra gig of memory to support higher resolutions. I have no experience with Asus, and only worked with MSI for a month, but for the money and components, I would go with the Asus. it will last longer.

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I think the benchmark on these two models might be double checked. You may verify the computing power when two laptops are at the same heavy gaming loading. As I know, the CPU spec will not always be fully performed, especially with heavy gaming loading happens, it is likely to be downgraded. If the real computing power is significantly higher in MSI's GS70 than ASUS ROG, it should be reasonable for MSI GS70 to be warmer. Another thing to be verified is how their cooling systems work. I remember one of them has the separate cooling system for CPU and GPU to secure the stability of the performance, so even you feel warm/hot, the system is still under control. This feature is not always written in the spec sheet, so I am not so sure which brand has this design..just remember I saw it somewhere..good luck!

Tradesman1

Honorable

Do you have a reference on this - that Asus has a shorter lifespan? Never seen anything like that, how about Lenovo or HP laptops? or is this an opinion?

Solution

Tradesman1

Honorable

So it's opinion, I was going to add earlier, the bulk of the laptops I recommend to clients are either Lenovo or Asus and none have had a problem with overheating, they are mainly to gamers and higher end business users so they all get a good workout, and generally are passed on to others at a given business or to a family member when the original user upgrades to a more powerful LT