Asus X541U does not turn on - no lights

summersby

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
My Asus X5A1U recently turned off today while I was in the middle of working on a project. It didn't BSOD or flick off, the screen simply turned off with the sound of the hard drive disk spinning to a stop.

I immediately held down the power button for about one minute, which did nothing. I then grabbed my charger and connected it, and tried turning it on again, with no change in result. I asked my friend to come over with his own laptop and charger (we bought them together last Boxing Day). My charger worked on his laptop, and his charger does NOT work on my laptop.

The bottom panel lights do not turn on when either of the chargers were connected. (see page 18, here, http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X541SA/0409_E11304_X441_X541_A.pdf?_ga=1.256280267.1362619893.1492265352, for how they are supposed to work when the lights are working properly)

The battery is not removable.

Is there anything that I can do to restart my machine? I'd really rather not wait for Monday to send this laptop to Asus and then have to wait for it to come back. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Solution
The battery should be removable, just how easy that is well that is a whole other story. They are making some of them a royal pain to get to.

If the device is under warranty, you are better off contacting the manufacturer as you don't want to void the warranty and they would be responsible for any repairs/replacements.

However if it is out of warranty, then you should consider the following to see if it helps (if you feel comfortable locating the battery and removing/reinserting it yourself...

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
5. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
6. Now put the battery back in.

If this...
The battery should be removable, just how easy that is well that is a whole other story. They are making some of them a royal pain to get to.

If the device is under warranty, you are better off contacting the manufacturer as you don't want to void the warranty and they would be responsible for any repairs/replacements.

However if it is out of warranty, then you should consider the following to see if it helps (if you feel comfortable locating the battery and removing/reinserting it yourself...

1. First make sure the device has been charged.
2. Unplug your charger cord.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
5. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
6. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

Solution