Asus x55 laptop black screen, won't post/boot

marceltjeg

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
A family members asus x55 laptop worked fine after he cleaned it up, but the next day the computer only showed a black screen after attempting to boot it

There's no way i can enter anything (Bios, boot menu) or get past it. the leds for the hdd and capslock work fine) but it just seems to be stuck. I went over the basic things like:

Swapping ram from my working laptop.
Chaning the CMOS battery(it worked fine but i resetted it this way aswell and made sure it wont go dry anytime soon.
No battery, only DC input. Neither and holding and pressing the power button for longer than 2 minutes. i even removed the HDD, Wifi card and everything else exept the CPU ofcourse and ram. Noting worked.

I searched every forum thread, DIY page and even visited these dodgy tech support sides to no avail. I read about removing all power sources, and holding the power button but this did not work for me after trying it several times.

I can only guess now that the bios got corrupted, presumably by a virus. I tought my only changes were to RMA or attempt to fix it using a jtag if they actually still exist. Or some other form of flashing the BIOS.

I hope someone here knows a solution.

Cannot check the specs since it's not accessable and there as several variations of this thing but i know it has a pentium processor, 2/4 gigs of ram and its roughly 1/2 years old.

Well, if it is actually turning on, it may not be the laptop but the display or the ribbon cable that connects it that is the problem. Or it could be the graphics card/GPU.

Try ...

1. Turning off the laptop.
2. Connect an external monitor.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

If you can see on the external monitor, it is the attached display or ribbon cable. Then it would need to be reopened and check the connections. If that doesn't resolve it, then the display may need replacing.

If nothing is seen on the external monitor either, then the graphics card/GPU is the problem and it will need replacing, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

marceltjeg

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016

I also tried another monitor, but no output. It's just inboard graphics but I highly doubt it dies overnight showing no signs of failure, i'm not even hearing the hard-drive being active nor see its light flicker so windows never loads. It cannot be the display/ribbon thato broke