Solved! Asus X550L Will Turn On for a Sec then Turn Off

Mar 14, 2018
Hello,

This is a 4yo laptop that i've never really had any issues with but just tonight, it turned off suddenly despite being plugged in and then when i try turning it on, it only powers up for a sec before it shuts off again. It has a defective battery so i can only run it with the cord plugged in. The battery light is on fine and in the first few attempts of rebooting it, it would get to the asus logo but now it doesn't. There are no beeps or anything. It just shuts off.

I've done the 30-45 second power button solution as suggested in other fora but not sure if anyone has also encountered a similar thing?

Thanks so much for any help you can suggest.

Solution
Assuming your brother's charging block's figures multiple out to the require vA, it's pointing to a bigger problem but if it managed to stay alive for that long, the issue might be the RAM.

If you're feeling brave enough to take a 2.5mm Pozi screwdriver to the base and ease it open with an old credit card and if you see two RAM sticks, remove one and try powering up with just the other in place. If it fails, put that one back and remove the other.

Another possibility while you're in there, even if it only opens for seconds, put a finger on the hard drive to feel if it vibrates from spinning the hard disk. If it fails to spin or makes any sound other than whirring, it could be the problem.
Mar 14, 2018

hello,

Yes. I removed it and tried powering it up without it. Same thing: would power up for a sec then turn off. Before we got to this point it was still able to power up til the asus logo until the intervals between turning on and shutting off became shorter and shorter. Took about maybe 5-7 attempts. Now im too scared to turn it on lest i fry something inadvertently.

Mar 14, 2018
UPDATE:

I tried turning it on after leaving it alone for an hour or so. It powered up and we even got to the lockscreen page and everything looked fine until it died again.

Thing is, it's acting the same way it would if i was just running it on the dead battery and as though it isn't hooked up to the power cord (which it is). I've tested it with my brother's power cord which works on his laptop (his is also an asus x-series) but it doesn't seem to be absorbing any of the juice it gets, although the battery light is lit up. My conclusion is it's something to do with the battery or power supply? What do you think?

Assuming your brother's charging block's figures multiple out to the require vA, it's pointing to a bigger problem but if it managed to stay alive for that long, the issue might be the RAM.

If you're feeling brave enough to take a 2.5mm Pozi screwdriver to the base and ease it open with an old credit card and if you see two RAM sticks, remove one and try powering up with just the other in place. If it fails, put that one back and remove the other.

Another possibility while you're in there, even if it only opens for seconds, put a finger on the hard drive to feel if it vibrates from spinning the hard disk. If it fails to spin or makes any sound other than whirring, it could be the problem.

Solution