Solved! ASUS X550V won't turn on

Nov 1, 2019
Hello, please help.
I've had my laptop for a bit over 2 years now and today it stopped working and hasn't turned on for two hours. It was working perfectly fine this morning. My battery's been going for a bit so I figured that was all but after reading up I'm not so sure.

Currently, no matter what I try, it won't move past a black screen. The computer doesn't make any noises either. The only indicator that it's not completely dead is that when I press the power button while it's plugged in thd green lightbulb light in the bottom left corner turns on, and the lightning bolt battery does as well when the battery is in. Other than that I get no response.

I've tried soft resetting every single way I've seen how and nothing's worked. Currently I have it off the charger and without the battery but I'm not sure where to go from here. I ordered a new battery and charger because I needed the new battery anyway and I'm not sure if it's a charger issue, but they're not going to be here for a few days.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
It could be the motherboard, due to the lack of sounds makes me wonder, but it doesn't have to be.

If it is staying, unless you pull the power (battery and charger) then it is possible it is actually on.

Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off). In your case, cut the power.
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all...
You say the lights, at least the two, come on. Do they stay on or do they go out? Do you have to push anything to make them go off (power button, etc.) or do they go out on their own?

I get that you say the screen stays black, I am asking about the lights.

Additionally, do you get any sounds what so ever from the inside of the laptop?

Nov 1, 2019
You say the lights, at least the two, come on. Do they stay on or do they go out? Do you have to push anything to make them go off (power button, etc.) or do they go out on their own?

I get that you say the screen stays black, I am asking about the lights.

Additionally, do you get any sounds what so ever from the inside of the laptop?

When plugging it in initially, the lights will turn on when I press the power button. Taking out the battery and not having the charger in is the only thing that makes them turn off.

I hear no noise at all from the laptop, lights or no lights.

It could be the motherboard, due to the lack of sounds makes me wonder, but it doesn't have to be.

If it is staying, unless you pull the power (battery and charger) then it is possible it is actually on.

Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off). In your case, cut the power.
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution